New around here!

Tell us about yourself and your bike(s), car(s), boat(s) or other toys
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

New around here!

Post by Ozhammer »

Hi fellow forum members and 2-stroke devotees, I am new to the forum (thanks for the tip Jonw!), so I thought I would do the right thing and introduce myself to you all.

I am an expat Englishman, who moved to the Lucky Country 11 years ago, bringing with me my lifelong love of all things 2T. I am an aircraft engineer by background and find that the whole restoration process satisfies my long-since redundant need to twirl the spanners and fix stuff. I am also now finally lucky enough to have my own workshop, which when I convince the minister of finance to let me install a flat screen TV, will be just about perfect!

After disappointingly having to sell my beloved RD400F (UK 2R9 model) after 10 years of ownership, to partly fund our emigration plans, :cry: I have spent the last decade attempting to build up a small collection of all the bikes I owned/wanted as a young man, so here are the results of my efforts to date (in chronological order):

1974 Kawasaki S3, three owners from new, original Aussie delivered bike with just over 27,000 kms on its clock. In great original and unmolested condition but I have plans to upgrade the engine with a stage 1 tune and Johnny Aylor reed valve conversion and to fit alloy wheels, plus upgraded suspension and brakes to really make it something really special. :twisted:

1979 Yamaha RD400G (3M4 model), again three owners from new (I purchased it from the guy who had owned if since 1981), with just under 20,000 kms travelled (4,000 of which have been by me). Bike was subject to a medium restoration in 2014/15, which included new paint, complete engine rebuild (including a stage 1 tune by Stan Stephens) and lots of other work. It is a great bike and shows just how far Yamaha had developed the aircooled 2-stroke twin by the time it went on sale. :Clap:

1981 Yamaha RD350LC (5E0 model), Elsie was bought from a guy in Melbourne as a collection of large lumps and boxes in 2009 and became the subject of my first ever ground-up restoration on and off over the ensuing 7 years. The end result is pretty much as close to a show bike as I will ever get with heaps of NOS parts fitted but would still pale in comparison to some people's efforts. She was built to ride and has upgraded suspension and brakes plus a stage 1 Stan Stephens engine tune :D

1981 Suzuki GT250 EX X7, my latest addition, purchased from its second owner (something of a recurring theme here eh?) a mature fellow VJMC member, who was selling it to fund his T500 restoration (thanks Bob!). It is in good condition with just over 20,000 kms showing on its speedo. I intend to do a moderate restoration and engine top end refresh and have spent the last 12 months accumulating heaps of parts ready to start work on it in 2017. :thumbs:

1986 Yamaha RD350F2 and finally, my 'newest' bike in terms of age but oldest in terms of ownership, having come into my possession in 2007. She is a 1WT model, so is an RD and not an RZ, although she carries an Aus compliance plate, so not sure how that happened? She is now somewhat careworn and really needs a full restoration but will have to wait until the X7 and S3 have been through the workshop, so that probably means 2018 at the earliest, which is a shame, as these are cracking bikes with 63BHP on tap. :(

So there you have it, my potted history during my time here in Ozland, which hopefully hasn't forced anyone to nod off! :lol:

Looking forward to exchanging ideas and information with everyone and being part of the 2 Strokes Down Under community, so any comments or questions about my bikes are welcomed.

In closing, I have already posted a wanted thread but I am still on the lookout for another coffin tanked RD400E/F to replace the one I sold in 2005, so please let me know if you have information about any available bikes (anything considered).

Cheers
Ozhammer
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Re: New around here!

Post by Greasemeup »

Nice Intro mate. Love the Yamaha's [emoji106] Welcome. It's quite but lots of people will be reading your posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

Nice collection of smokers there mate! I like your style. Welcome.
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

Great collecting, great story and welcome. You may prod others to tell their stroker story as well so don't worry about people nodding off.
James W.
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by James W. »

A lovely bunch of smokernuts you've got there Ozhammer, good effort.

But forget about that big 'ead twat Aylor's stuff, frankly, it, like him - is rubbish..
If you'd really like a meaty Kawasaki triple, slot an H2 750 mill into that 400 chassis.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Welcome aboard.. that is a nice collection!
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

Not sure I am 'manly' enough (read have a deep enough wallet) for a 750 triple, besides, I was always led to believe that the 400 was the considered triple choice..... :wink:

Sorry that you don't share a positive view of JA's kits but I have always found him good to deal with and my desire is for a mild tune, whilst retaining as much of the original flexibility as possible (you know, real world stuff). If I get 50BHP or thereabouts without compromising reliability I will be very happy as these petrol-cooled triples are already thirsty enough! 8O
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Nice collection, (almost identical to what I'd say would be an ideal collection to me too).
Good work old chap :-)
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Nice collection, (almost identical to what I'd say would be an ideal collection to me too).
Good work old chap :-)
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
James W.
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by James W. »

Ozhammer wrote:Not sure I am 'manly' enough (read have a deep enough wallet) for a 750 triple, besides, I was always led to believe that the 400 was the considered triple choice..... :wink:

Sorry that you don't share a positive view of JA's kits but I have always found him good to deal with and my desire is for a mild tune, whilst retaining as much of the original flexibility as possible (you know, real world stuff). If I get 50BHP or thereabouts without compromising reliability I will be very happy as these petrol-cooled triples are already thirsty enough! 8O

Don't believe the hype Ozhammer, the rebuild cost & fuel thirst of the Kawasaki triples work out to be all fairly similar,
esp' since the wee ones get hammered harder, & the big ones have so much more torque to enable higher gearing.

As for Aylor, ok, cool if you've had good dealings with him, but really - you could do much better, locally..
James W.
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by James W. »

Oz-h, here's a tricked out Kawasaki 400 triple build-up that may be of interest.
http://www.kawtriple.com/mraxl/articles ... skh400.htm
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

Great article James, Adrian is a bit of a legend in U.K. triples circles, so I am not at all surprised at what he produced. My project is intended to look almost standard whilst delivering an improved ride and performance package. Plus any mods can be reversed if needs be, so hopefully I won't destroy it's value or authenticity.

Looking forward to doing something a little different to my normal restos and hoping my optimism for the final outcome won't be too tempered by difficult engineering challenges!

Rgds
Ozhammer
James W.
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by James W. »

In which case Oz-h, perhaps the adaptation of three Suzuki GT 250 X7 reed valve top-end units to your 400/3?

It maybe be an interesting 'engineering challenge' that also leaves your original Kawasaki parts unmolested by Aylor...
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

But then I would have to call it a GT400 or an X8! :wink: