Jets

Topics regarding Suzuki 2Strokes
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Jets

Post by EPApolice »

I have got the RG400 on the road now and after decoking the pipes and setting up the carbs new plugs etc I still have an issue and I think i need to rejet the bike to solve it. Basically when I give it some and the power valves open the bike just stops reving and bogs down totally just like its out of juice. As the bike is an import and I am the first owner here the carbs would be set for the Japanese climate.
Does anyone know how many sizes to go up. Has anyone done the same with a 500.
rodeobob

Re: Jets

Post by rodeobob »

Its not really something you do by what someone else did.
Each motor is different.
You need to go through the steps of jetting it propperly.

First thing id suggest would be pulling all the carbs off and stripping them right down and cleaning them out. Replace the jets with new ones of the same size as whats in it if any of them look anywhere near sus.
And you aint stripped and cleaned the carbs if you havent remove the emulsion tubes from the carb body.

Bob.
DT200R Dirty dinger. Bare frame built with custom stuff.
DT175 '90- Its just like a farm bike only worse coz the sucker wont rev out.
TIT175- Build in progress. IT/DT175 motor in a TT350 frame with USD YZ front end, why the hell not!
RZ250K- Smashed! strip down and custom build, 2KR suspension and wheels.
YZ200WR- Soon to be started. DT200 motor into YZ125A1 rolling frame. Need a bit more coin to get forks and supsnsion rebuilt.
RG250WD- Who knows what for. Pipes and carbs for the RZ.
VictIT- A very sad Victa 8-34E (8HP 34") Ride on that im going to set right. IT175 motored racing mower, i mean how can you call it a Victa if its not a 2T.
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

No I did all that stripped cleaned balanced the carbs and decoked the pipes. I only asked about the 500 to get an Idea of how many sizes up to start with and work from there and also to see if it is normal practice.
Antman
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Antman »

Running pods or airbox?

Needle position standard?
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

Everything is standard. I am going to go up two sizes and see what happens. I can get to the mains without removing the carbs or airbox scoops. Results at the weekend.
wheels999
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by wheels999 »

With a fresh set of spark plugs it should run pretty well, even on standard Japanese jetting. I'd say you have an issue other than jetting. Have you double checked the fuel flow and float heights on each carb?

Follow this link for the jetting sizes for the 400 vs the 500 (and other differences)

http://rg500gamma.com/rg500rg400differences.html

As it says on this page, Japanese market two strokes were typically jetted too rich as a measure to keep the horsepower down for licensing and insurance reasons.

So if anything you'd want to go leaner, not richer.

Cheers, Markus.
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

Being too rich did cross my mind too as it is drinking petrol which I was expecting but a bit over the top. It will be next week before I get the time now anyway. I will have a look at that site.
Pat
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

According to that site the jets are correct but liker you said it suggests to go leaner.
peet
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by peet »

they are bad on gas my rg500 will do 120km then hit res when pushed realy haed .
allways a race to to the gas station as i was slowing the group dowm by gassing up all the time.
got cought out of gas a few times & thanks to those 4 jokes for some of there gas .
cheers peet
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

Got it sorted this afternoon. On the carbs there is a breather hose that connects to both carbs on each side then loops foward and vents under the motor. This hose had at some time been resting on the exhaust and melted shut. So I cut the end off and yee ha an extra 20 hp straight away.
Thanks for all the suggestions people.

Pat
HM31A
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by HM31A »

good to hear
love all those urban myths that come out
cheers
3rd Blue Haze Ride Sunday 10th November 2013
Smokers Day Out
www.japbikeshow.com.au
wheels999
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by wheels999 »

peet wrote:they are bad on gas my rg500 will do 120km then hit res when pushed realy haed .
allways a race to to the gas station as i was slowing the group dowm by gassing up all the time.
got cought out of gas a few times & thanks to those 4 jokes for some of there gas .
cheers peet
I used to get 200kms plus before reserve back in the day on my original RG500 on country roads. 160ish kms around town (and fouled spark plugs until I went to the warmer ones).
peet
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by peet »

got better km out of it over here in qld on country km
can go from blackwater to emerld 150 + km & com on to res
let reg ( wa )go to give the bike a birthday
bit tied started to foul a plug ,
60 km
+ droped in wa 10 year ago in wa
looking for a upper fairing to
if ay 1 knowing of some thing around

cheers peet
Last edited by peet on Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

Gave it some this morning and its better but still not fully right. Going to strip the carbs back again and have another look.
Twosmoker

Post by Twosmoker »

It's interesting to hear how you're getting on with it, Pat.
That blocked breather hose was a good find! As Markus says, they were jetted on the rich side at 135 compared to the 500's 120 jets, so I would try going down to 130 125, or 120 as it's still on the standard jetting to see what difference that makes.

I'd be very interested to hear, as I've just bought an RG400 to go with my other 2smokers. The first thing I'll do is try 125 jets to see how much this leans it up and probably drop the needles by 1 notch too to see if going leaner gains power.

It would've been good to join you for that blast near Wollongong on Sun, but I won't be picking mine up until the next weekend now. I can't wait! :lol:

Enjoy the ride & keep us posted!

Cheers, Paul.
Attachments
My newly bought RG400 - ring-a-ding!
4.jpg (13.1 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
1.jpg (15.1 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
Last edited by Twosmoker on Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
RD350LC
RZ350
RG400
CRE500