83 rz350 track bike build

Post your Project Bike threads here.
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

83 rz350 track bike build

Post by gman »

G'day race fans. For the last few years i've picked up various rz parts, with some future projects in mind.
On the weekend i walked into a door jam and fractured my little toe. The doctor is fitting a space boot to immobilise my foot and at this stage it looks like 4 weeks of work. Also means no motorcycle boot, so no riding.
Anyway i have time to kill so i'm going to put together a 83 rz 350 track bike with the parts i have. I say track bike although i'd prefer to say race bike but from what i understand a 83 rz ypvs doesn't really have a categorie to race in historic racing without competing with bikes up to the early 90's of larger capacity.
My daily ride 84rz 350 has a set of chambers and ported cylinders done by Dutch tz tuner Karl Zegers. Last year i found another set of his chambers for sale which ignited the idea for a track bike. Today i recieved an 83 rz250 frame and cases i picked up from ebay. so now the fun begins.
At this piont i would like to get the bike together and running with the parts i have and make it as light as possible.
Performance Parts i have. lighter 85 wheels, 85 forks, triumph 4 pot calipers, zegers chambers, tz tacho, 34mm mikuni's, Zegers ignition set up using lighter flywheel (yz80).
Otherwise i have crank, barrells, pistons, tank, seat, gearbox , gaskets etc. I'm going to pull it all out of the shed tommorrow and see what i have and what i might need.
I hope to do all this on a budget with the bits i have, once running, i'll save for some more performance parts like reeds, r6 shock etc. Anyway i have 4 weeks to build an rz track bike. lets see.Image

JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: 83 rz350 track bike build

Post by JonW »

Ouch, weve all done that injury, tho perhaps not everyone has done it that bad (Ive been there tho, hurts like a bastard!)

Nice project, the frame and cases from ebay seller in Dural I reckon ;)

86-on wheels I think you mean, the 85s are the same as the 83/4.

Excited to see this one unfold :)
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Good on yer mate, looking forward to seeing it :-)
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Gavin »

Watching with interest. I might have some 86 wheels if needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
86 RZ250F restored. 84 RZ500 rebuild in progress, 73 CT3 in progress
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

Thanks for the encouragement boys. The wheels i have are from a 1986. For some reason i thought it was an 85 donor.
I'm thinking i'll do a mock up of the bike before i get the grinder out to remove any excess lugs from the frame.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

You where right john w..frame and cases from dural. Ego transport dural depot to gold coast depot $65.

gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

Bouncing round some ideas. With some small modification i thik can this fairing to work. Need to get some clip ons under the triple clamp to see if it's a good riding position. Think i could use a tz seat as i've seen others have done it.

Dave.T
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by Dave.T »

Hi Gman,
The photo of your chambers have solved my mystery.

The RZ350 I recently purchased has a set of these. Are the any good for road use, or a pain to use on the street ?

Regards
Dave
:twisted: based in Werribee Melbourne :twisted:
Black/purple 95RGV
83 RWB RZ250/350
85 RZ350 (undergoing rebuild)
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

Gday Dave T. they are a peaky pipe. ie the set i have on my other rz come onto the pipe at just under 8000rpm and have good power through to 11000 so on the street they are not ideal. In saying that the ypvs system does help allot to giving usable power below the coming on to the pipe. did you get cylinders that have been ported with these pipes? They are light and well made. i can't fit the lower fairing on with these pipes.
James W.
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by James W. »

Well gman, if you really wanted to 'punch it' - (as the Xbox Halo crew put it)..
..the Kawasaki H2 750/3 mill will slot fairly easily into an RD/RZ Yamaha chassis,
& to real good effect.. (yes, I've done it.. & I have one -as a current road ride.)

I can get you started, engine-wise, I'm not far from you - so if you're interested - P.M. me..
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

James, any pics of that motor in an RZ frame?
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
James W.
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by James W. »

Nah, sorry, not on me, BRG - I am not much on photo stuff, but see the site below:

www.deejay51.com/coca_cola_800_gallery.htm

Scroll down to the Willing ex-Superbike Championship H2 slotted into his TZ chassis.
The H2 mill fits where the Yamaha does, basically - with a few easy nips 'n' tucks..
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

750 h2 kwaka in the rz frame is definately a tastie proposition. you've got me thinking James!
Thing is i've pretty well got the rz350 engine and chambers sorted for the bike. iIm building this from mainly parts in the spares bin on a small budget. I need to buy manifolds for the 34mm mikuni's and some reed petals, otherwise i have everything right down to gaskets and seals.
I am chasing a tz seat (g model) if anyone has one or know's where i'll get one.
Last edited by gman on Mon May 15, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

this is the seat i"m after