The "Netflix Tax"

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

The "Netflix Tax"

Post by OzzyElsie »

"Important: “Netflix tax” effective 1 July 2017
From 1 July 2017, Goods and Services Tax (GST) will apply to fees on eBay.com.au, due to new legislation in Australia (the "Netflix Tax").

Businesses registered for GST will not be affected by this change if you register your Australian Business Number (ABN) with eBay here.

More information on this new legislation can be found here.
Regards,
The eBay Team"

I just got the above Ebay message.

Better known as the Whinging Pom Gerry Harvey Tax.

I didn't know this was coming, at least not in this blanket approach. Using the ebay invoice 'they' are going to get an extra 10% of everything - the postage etc. Fucked that.

I suppose I'll be able to claim an off set if I keep records and make returns - fucked that; this is suppose to be a hobby.

I have previously paid for the shit I have around the place that I sell through Ebay and some ebay sales would be at a loss. I suppose I'll have have dated signed etc etc receipts to make a claim. Fuck that.
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: The "Netflix Tax"

Post by JonW »

I posted about this a while back when it was still 'coming' and not fully formed, it sucks and makes ebay more expensive, but i'll wager it will still be cheaper to buy stuff from overseas than locally.

What annoys me is that to fix the 'rip off Aus' problem means looking at prices here and not just making it more expensive from abroad. You cant protect Aussie retailers in this way, they need to put skin in the game and reduce prices.

A while back (3 or 4 years or so) I moaned that Renthal Aus were a rip off to their head office while I was in MCA via phone call. They wanted 89.99 for a rear sprocket and I could have the same item sent and landed at my door for under $50 from the UK. The guy moaned and told me I was ruining the market and was basically an a/hole. 3 weeks later they reduced the price to 69.99. Im not saying that was cos of me, but i think after his initial knee jerk reaction he looked at worldwide prices and also his declining sales and worked out he was going to not sell any if he continued at the old price. Good on him, we need more of that... but i doubt it will happen, the fat cats are just too greedy. :(
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: The "Netflix Tax"

Post by jools »

Why is it being called "Netflix Tax" ? - What's Netflix got to do with it?
It's just GST being charged on cheaper items,- under $1000. Yes it stinks, but it's the Liberal government imposing this new tax.
(Remember " no new taxes") ?!
And Gerry Harvey lost his Pom status long ago if he ever had it... now he's just an Aussie capitalist.