Back Again

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
Antman
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Back Again

Post by Antman »

Hi fellas one of the original members returning after a 7 year hiatus on a restored 85 Gsxr 750 now sold.

I'm not doing the big rides anymore which was the reason
for a bigger bike plus a change.

I'm outa touch with prices now though 7 years ago I sold my modified LC for $4,800 including parts.

Is $6000k about right for an unrestored 350Rz seems a lot.

If anyone knows of a LC or RZ for sale please let me know
Don't care if it's modified even better happy to pay for someone's hard work.

Cheers

Ant
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: Back Again

Post by jools »

I'm selling my RZ, '84 250 with 350 barrels and head. Very nice original condition with all the hard jobs done.
(Victoria). PM me if interested, here's a link.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2362
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Hey Ant, good to see you back in the fold!

Prices have shot up thats for sure. Restorer RZs, even in bits, are now bigger money than they were and LCs seem to be heading off the chart. Saying that, 6k for an unrestored 350RZ sounds expensive to me, bearing in mind that if any of these bikes have been sat then they need a crank rebuild and new seals at the least so its a lot of work and the tanks can be a nightmare, at least LCs now have good new tanks available, but thats lifted the price of piles of parts as almost everything for an LC can be got now, so everything is getting restored it seems.

FWIW A mate (on here) bought a 350RZ outside of sydney (always cheaper) last year for just over half the asking on the one you posted, it looked ok and was an older resto but needed to be redone properly, including lots of new parts (tho the cyls were fine) and all new paint as the paintwork was ok, but not original colours etc. His bike owes him well over double your asking price now, but its all done and very nice. Doing an either of these bikes up properly was never cheap of course and the standard of resto work has gone up and up but the bikes we have now are lovely to see, a lot of work but the devil is in the detail.

Bear in mind that if you want to mod it, then look for 250s with unmatching numbers they will be cheaper etc. Ive seen some nice looking (from 10 paces) LCs sell the past year for 3-4k, but really they all need big work now as they are usually barn finds. Similar RZs are more like 2k but ive not seen one sell for ages, so may be out of touch there. Bear in mind that 350 top ends are 600 now and you still probably need pistons and rebore at another 350ish, carbs are 150+, pipes are silly money, better to look aftermarket at round 1k and check out the price of LC clocks now etc. So you start to see how whole bikes even as piles of parts become worth a lot of money.

The upside of this tho is that if you buy one and do the work you generally wont lose money. Shannons sold an unrestored US import RZ for over 10k last month and to be honest its 10k+ that a 'fully restored' (depends who did it and how well of course) bike would command now. A nut and bolt correct resto matching numbers bike would cost more, no one would sell one for less after all that work and the price of those nos parts :/

HTH. Get one, do it up and ride it, but dont sell it this time :)
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by jools »

Yeah, get one that doesn't need restoring and doesn't need 'big work'.
(I like 'super clean', sorted, original bikes that are unrestored, -original down to the fasteners).
Antman
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Antman »

Thanks Jon

Yeah aware of the costs involved regarding a resto I spent crapola's on the 85 Gsxr.

For some shock value back in the 90's we used to buy Rz's and Lc's for $250-$350 brake them up between 3 of us and sometimes the frame would just get binned.......................terrible.

At one stage I had 25 LC chambers hanging in the shed couldn't sell them so scraped them...................

Hindsight eh

Yep your right should've kept the LC tho at the time I couldn't justify the expense of running two bikes and for me the big rides, was where it was at.

What draws me back to 4's is I can go out and buy a 07 Gsxr 750 15,000km on the clock for $6'500 ...............................tho it ain't no classic stroker!!!!!!
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

My LC has been off the road for years. Doesn't cost anything except shed space.
Once the kids are older, hopefully the wife can ride it again and we'll get it back on the road.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

Welcome back Antman.

My advice for what it’s worth is that you first need to decide what it is you are looking for. As others have said, prices for matching numbers RD’s and RZ’s have risen sharply in recent years and are arguably the holy grail, which should (hopefully) hold their value into the future.

If you are just looking for a solid rider, then you can look at modified or non-matching number bikes, which should offer better value. That said, some folks seem to think that if it’s old and 2T, it must be worth a small fortune regardless of its condition or provenance.

Restoration projects are doable but the cost will of course reflect the amount of stuff you have to outsource and the amount of work required overall. My 350LC project owes me around $7k but it is minty fresh and won an award at the last VJMC Rally, so I am happy with the outcome. My current 400E project certainly won’t be any cheaper, even though I will do as much work as I can myself but with paint, engine work and chroming, the costs quickly mount up and I have even begun to wonder if I would be better off just buying a restored machine. That said, if you restore something yourself, you will know that the work has been done properly and will hopefully form a bond with the finished machine.

For me personally, the restoration process is a big part of the enjoyment and I find that bringing an iconic bike back from potential oblivion is really satisfying.

Hope the above helps more than it confuses!

Rgds
Ozhammer
Antman
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Antman »

Think I will go for an Rz this time got a budget of 6k

Not really into stock bikes but something tastefully modified is what I'm interested in.
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

There is a modified 350 on EBay (I think) at the moment that might fit the bill. IIRC the price was around $5.5k
Antman
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Antman »

I was talking to that chap and nearly pressed buy it now.

Then it disappeared so spoke to him he had it advertised else where, he was quite upset when a fellow took it for a ride and upon returning dropped it in his driveway.............. doh

Fellow had to buy it then!.

Some points I didn’t like the seat looked uncomfortable very thin foam, back end had been chopped these things wouldn’t have stopped me purchasing as it’s all reversable.

Other than that for a special I didn’t think it was too bad.
Antman
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Antman »

hybrid wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:17 am My LC has been off the road for years. Doesn't cost anything except shed space.
Once the kids are older, hopefully the wife can ride it again and we'll get it back on the road.
Hi Jeff how are you?
Long time mate, shed space in the Innerwest what’s that?

Did you ever go into Rick Roberts shed? Mines the same size 3x1m.........lol
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Hey Ant.. good to see you back on the scene.
I'm busy as hell these days mate. Two kids now, youngest is 17 months. So not much time for toys at the moment.

I miss a lot of the organised rides etc because of it.
I did go to Ricks shed, yes :lol:
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
Antman
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Antman »

Yeah life is busy these days Mate my kids are 10 and 12 now, I remember building the LC for the second time while renovating and doing the nappy thing.

Took me 10 years to get through the house in the end slow but didn’t borrow a cent and reno’d Of income.

Don’t know how I did it all , finished the house needed another project so bought another Reno special on the mid-north coast on 480 acres recon that one will see me out.

I was smarter with the 85 Gsxr and farmed the motor and paint out and did the rest had that for 7 years ...... then felt like time for another project so here Iam again I’ve gone full circle.....🤔
L.B.
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by L.B. »

Hey Antman,been awhile...
I have an '86 RZ250R I might be persuaded into selling. It will need rebuild but its all there.
Antman
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Antman »

L.B. wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:27 pm Hey Antman,been awhile...
I have an '86 RZ250R I might be persuaded into selling. It will need rebuild but its all there.
Hi mate

Yes It has been a while, how have you been?

You could send pics to my ph. 0416259400

Bit of a description could be good to.

I'am considering LC's as well, picked up a motor,wheels and other bits on the wknd.

Cheers mate