How much then?

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
Antman
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

How much then?

Post by Antman »

So I had a look at this 83 RZ it's been in storage since 98 and the owner wants $6000

Motor turns over but hasen't run since being garaged klms 47,000 :roll:
Had a new crank fitted back then.
Gears all seem to select ok by hand
I would suggest a complete strip down and rebuild of the motor.

Paint all original and is in quite good cond for age 6/10 would run with that like it is, tank all shiney small rust marks only.

Master cyclinders would need rebuild and so would calipers wheel bearings and swingarm bushes.

With all the above work needed doing you would also paint the frame, yokes, rims, calipers etc.
I think he wants to much considering that its not running, yes its a good example of an unmolested machine but she needs work.

As I haven't bought parts for these in years I'm not sure what all the above would cost, as there is no painting of panels all the work I can do.

Would $4000- be about right?

cheers
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: How much then?

Post by jools »

Sounds pretty expensive compared to mine.
Antman
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Antman »

His paint is all original and its a 350.
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by jools »

Yes, swings and roundabouts maybe. But the following?...

"I would suggest a complete strip down and rebuild of the motor."
"Master cyclinders (sic) would need rebuild and so would calipers wheel bearings and swingarm bushes."
"With all the above work needed doing you would also paint the frame, yokes, rims, calipers etc."

Ah well, who knows. I haven't even advertised mine yet, -I'd better get around to it.
(And I do have 350 barrels and head to go with it).

Just sayin'!
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

$6k for something that sounds like it needs a fair bit of work is too much imo. The cost of what is likely to need doing will potentially add another $2-$3k, so you need to ask yourself if you would pay $8-$9k for the finished article?

For a ground up resto, I try to stay within a total budget of $7k, so I know I would get my money back. That does mean some creative accounting and doing as much as I can myself but it is doable generally.

I am working on someone to do my paint at mate’s rates, which will hopefully bring my costs down somewhat but no doubt I will end up spending any savings elsewhere!
Antman
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Antman »

jools wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:29 pm Yes, swings and roundabouts maybe. But the following?...

"I would suggest a complete strip down and rebuild of the motor."
"Master cyclinders (sic) would need rebuild and so would calipers wheel bearings and swingarm bushes."
"With all the above work needed doing you would also paint the frame, yokes, rims, calipers etc."

Ah well, who knows. I haven't even advertised mine yet, -I'd better get around to it.
(And I do have 350 barrels and head to go with it).

Why didn’t you paint the panels at least red instead of silver just wondering?.

Did you buy that one of Justin?

Cheers
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by jools »

Well to be honest I did't much fancy the red and black colour scheme, (whilst I do like the red frame colours),and I had this nice metalflake silver in stock.
I spent the time and effort properly reinforcing the plastics and 'smoothing' so it would be a cinch to repaint -all the hard work is done.
Bought it about 8 years ago from a feller named Scott from Wonthaggi Vic.
Antman
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Antman »

Arrr the old Wonthaggi caravan pk😮
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Thats too much for sure. The crank could be toast from rust after all that time. Storage kills our bikes due to moisture coming in the pipes and airbox. And yes, you'd need all new seals etc.

I agree, once youve gone so far you'd do the rest, so this is a full resto bike really.

One of our own bought a LC2 350 for under 3500 within the past year, same sort of condition and as it was matching numbers and all there it was worth doing. He found a lot of bodges and problems along the way, of course. The bike was repainted in the end to get the quality he wanted, that cost a pretty penny. his bike owes him more than 7k of course now, but he wont sell it and loves it.
Antman
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Antman »

As the Rg250 prices haven't gone crazy I might look at doing a" Yamagama" I didn't want to do a complete rebuild but I might have to, to get what I want.
Anyway the frame is better than any Lc or Rz could ever be.

The search continues.....................................................................