alternative forks for a 1977 RD400

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

alternative forks for a 1977 RD400

Post by BRG1200 »

Hi people,
forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere.
Does anyone happen to know what "other" forks might slip straight into an RD400?
I'd like to keep the original top yoke, and the rest of the bike as "original" as possible, but the forks are fubar.
Two calipers would be good as well, though of course I'll need to source an XS wheel or similar to get twin discs.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: alternative forks for a 1977 RD400

Post by JonW »

Sounds expensive to get the look right, you cant have your legs redone? A1 chrome did a couple of sets of LC legs for me and a mate and they came up amazing.
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: alternative forks for a 1977 RD400

Post by Ozhammer »

If it is just the chromed sections that are cactused you can get replacements through a number of suppliers. I got the ones for my 400E project from RDLC Crazy in the UK but I think Wemoto might also sell them.

If you order replacements, remember to get the correct diameter for your model, as early stanchions are 34mm whereas late (78-on) are 35mm.

If you really want to go down the twin disc route, you would probably need to look for suitable XS fork legs, as I have seen these used on other people’s bikes.

HTH