Nice LC (Ebay).....

Looking to sell a 2Stroke bike?
rdrob
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Re: Nice LC (Ebay).....

Post by rdrob »

Thanks Jon I'm happy but those parts are adding up on this new build just getting the frame
sorted now slightly bent but not a lot so not a big job we think.

Yeah it could be bent but can be fixed and yes it might be $500 dollars more then it's worth
but geez really in a few years is that really a big amount in what it might be?
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

sorry to hear frame needing work on the Z1, still I just know how nice it will be when done :)

well $500 buys quite a few parts for the rebuild....lol. my issue is that im not even sure the frame on that one is savable, plus what other damage got done I wonder. :/
rdrob
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by rdrob »

Thanks you know me super fussy with a build lol.
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

Whilst I am not an anorak, I won’t personally contemplate restoring a non matching numbers Yamaha, as there is just too much expense involved not to maximise the potential value of the finished bike.

I am not suggesting that a an upgraded 5E1 can’t be every bit as good to ride and enjoy as a 5E0, it’s just that I wouldn’t pay top money for something like that myself.

It’s a odd hang up I know, because my Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki don’t have matching numbers but there you go.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

I agree, to me thats a very odd hangup indeed. ;) The only time anyone cares its numbers match is when they buy and sell a bike, the rest of the time its not even considered...

One of my projects here is a 5E0 frame thats getting an RZ engine. Its not going to be a cheap build cos i dont do cheap builds lol Maybe im wrong but im building a bike for me, its a hobby, im not building stuff to sell and make my fortune on. If youve seen my 421LC and my XT500 you know I enjoy building with quality parts and spread that burden over the years and Ive spent more than they would be worth perhaps, let alone my hours 'invested'. Like I said its a hobby and in my view the bikes deserve to be rebuilt not turned away because of some numbers and letters.
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

Specials are a whole different discussion Jon and certainly have their own place within the classic bike scene.

As you say, they are very personally tailored and whilst selling them on doesn’t enter considerations when building them and their individuality would make placing a market value on them even more difficult and like you say, you would be unlikely to recoup your costs given the price of some parts.

My own objective is to try to keep the overall spend within the likely market value of the bike in question. That way, I would hopefully recoup my outlay if I had to sell.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

I guess I just see any overspend as what it cost me for the enjoyment of the work. I see it like this; you dont go to the movies or out for dinner expecting to make money on the deal, you pay for the privilege of a good night out. Anyway, we are all different...

My view is that going forward I see that the Aussie LC/RZ market will be about how nice a bike is, not so much about numbers, as actual bikes are thin on the ground now. People who want to own our bikes without doing the hard work will pay for decent work done, not so much for numbers and letters.

What still seems weird to me is that we all modded these bikes when new... so the current trend for 'as delivered' restos often seems mad, but somehow is enjoyable to me. Tho I still mod every one of my bikes, even if they dont actually look it, its what makes them mine. :D

This the black one mentioned above: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yamaha-81-R ... Ciid%253A1
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by jools »

"Matching numbers genuine Oz bikes will always be the holy grail as far as return on investment goes"

So why aren't lads scratching at my door to get a dead original VGC unrestored (apart from refinished plastics) excellent running RZ (matching numbers) at a reasonable price? -It IS a YPVS mind.
I'm just surprised that people seem to think that a non-matching numbers bike, obviously non original bitsa bike with (obviously) 'issues', is worth loads.
Antman
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Antman »

I thought it was nice enough I would of bid on it however I picked one up at Christmas.

There out there you just need to look a bit harder, don’t listen to the dribble from Facebook hero’s I ran into a group of Queensland based 2stroke enthusiasts who seemed hellbent on pushing the unobtainable story.

Well I found several on my quest.....
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

1/ I don't understand the market and don't try to. I am amazed at times at the LC/RZ prices I see and get. I love Ebay because it sets the price. I hate giving and asking prices on a one on one basis on the forum or anywhere else.

2/ I don't understand the 'new in crate, never to be used or opened' attraction or the double the market price value they get - of any make or model, car or bike. But, each to their own.

3/ OEM, or OEM as amended, is the hardest and most expensive resto. Resale value reflect this. OEM or OEM as amended appeals to the most buyers and is safest for resale.

4/ Modified or custom should be done primarily for personal satisfaction and use. Resale will probably be at a loss. How big a loss is a matter of time, patience and luck - you have to strike an informed buyer with similar taste etc. Matching numbers shouldn't impact modified or custom appeal or prices

The LC in question appears to be a well spec'ed and executed bike. I would love it but I would have to spend another $1000 on that tank - yuk (personal opinion) - and a few other (inexpensive) bibs and bobs.
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

The higher value placed on many by the top end restos is really only a recognition of the time and money that has likely been invested to get them back to that condition.

Specials often cost more due to the price of exotic parts and the engineering required to make them fit but most builders accept that they are unlikely to ever get their money back.

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, a bike is only worth what someone will pay for it ultimately and I know my mate will kick himself down the track for not buying my 400E project. I can personally vouch for the fact that the rarity stories about that model are certainly not overegged, having seen just 5 examples in 10+ years of looking.

Where do you have your RZ up for sale Jools? Like you say, it’s hard to believe that a good matching numbers bike can’t find a home.
Antman
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Antman »

Some very good points fellas.

Back in the day no one wanted an OEM bike, they usually got ridden into the shed and exited less rear mudguard,brake light recessed,indicator stems shortned,bars rotated and if you had money chambers then port job.

Supringsly with all this butchery they still seemed to fetch good money, you would feel embarrassed turning up to a meet on a stock bike how things have changed with the appearance of the OCD Anorak.

I think an OEM nut and bolt resto is nice to look at and these days a safe bet should you decide to sell and claw back some of your hard earned cash.

So stock or special? this is the question going around my head.
What about something in between?

Stock paint job with period bolt on Mods.

Microns,rearsets etc

Slightly tweaked but not overdone and easily returned to stock.

Ant
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Ant, Thats sort of what Ive worked out now, you need a trifecta of the breed; one total resto, one mild mods but standard-ish and one with mental mods lol
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by jools »

Mine is on Gumtree, and It's on this forum 'Bikes for sale'.
I haven't really 'aggressively' promoted it though.