Nice LC (Ebay).....

Looking to sell a 2Stroke bike?
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: Nice LC (Ebay).....

Post by JonW »

One thing I would say about the bike in question here is the choice of paintwork, a few of us have said they dont like it or that it would suit something more special/hybrid than the mostly standard look it has now. LC's and YPVS always seem to sell better when their paint is standard unless the bike is very un-standard of course.

Anyway, that discussion reminded me of a bit of when I sold my 'part resto/part survivor' very OEM XL500R a few years back. At the time they sold for $3k+ in that condition (it was really very nice and very complete, hard on a 'one year bike' etc etc) and so I advertised it at $2850 hoping to get a quick sale. One of the guys who came was excited, he looked, rode it and prodded it a lot. Then suddenly said he really was looking for a red one and he'd have to repaint my OEM silver bike which would cost $1500... so would I take $1350? Well...
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

Yeah, I’d have to agree that paint really does have a big impact on the potential sale price of a machine. Repaint in original colours and all is good but paint it something else and most folk think: “oh, that’s been repainted, I wonder why?” Some non-standard paint jobs can look better than the originals but it will likely turn some people off regardless, or have them haggling (sic) to get the cost of a repaint off the asking price.

I am having a bit of a dilemma with my 400E project at the moment, as I really like the competition yellow scheme of the F model but really have to go with the white scheme, if I want to stay original. First world problem I know! :wink:
Antman
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Antman »

I don’t see paint as an issue as a buyer to me that’s a blank canvas.

There will always be a buyer who appreciates something different that stands out from the rest of the punters.

So hold no fear your true love will always sell.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

I love that approach Ant, but I know not everyone thinks like that. My view would be that if you want a blank canvas you should look for one needing paintwork rather than one already done as the paintjob on the one you buy will be wasted, thats not good for the wallet if its new and you paid for the privilege of that work being done. Obviously no seller would contribute the cost of a repaint to the buyer by discounting the price that much, better to find another buyer. In my story of my XL sale, I pushed the bike away from him at that point, leaving him on my driveway, while telling him to go home and not come back - in less words. It sold a few weeks later to the next guy who was over the moon with it and it ended up in a museum, go figure.

Re the 400: like Ant, I say paint it how you want. I reckon that so long as you dont stray too far from the norm (which it sounds like you arent) then it will be fine. If you intend to do up to sell you want original, as has been said here 'original everything' sells best... always. Anything away from that will mean those who want 'one like they used to have' will not want it, most buyers paying big money seem to be that sprt of guy IME. Anyway, as an aside, Im painting my LC with RZ motor in a different colour... one Ive not seen used before on an LC. To hell with 'buyers', im not selling :D

Jools, I hope you dont take this the wrong way but I reckon the paint is a problem with your sale. Youve said the bike is 'all original', but obviously the paint scheme isnt. While it seems a solid and nice looking bike, that may well be a stumbling block for the 'like I used to have' crowd. Paint is never cheap, and many buyers dont want the hassle/expense. Anyway, just my 2c.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

jools wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:20 am Mine is on Gumtree, and It's on this forum 'Bikes for sale'.
I haven't really 'aggressively' promoted it though.
"Needs a younger fitter rider!" - is that the one :twisted:
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by jools »

I take your point Jon,- appreciate your opinion mate.
Quoting me: ..."So the other paint, frame, tank etc is factory original..."

Luckily for me I can spray a good professional-standard finish, so it has occurred to me that maybe I should paint the plastics back to the original colours, but to be honest, I think that it's pretty good value for a buyer as is.

I'm a little conflicted though! I don't really want to sell the thing, it's just that I'm too creaky to get the best out of it, and I need space in the workshop. Dilemma!

(Yep that's the one).
Antman
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Antman »

Jools are you interested in spraying others?

Ant
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Easy dilemma Jools, keep it, its going up in value. Redo all the paint including the tank when you want to sell and it'll easily sell to those who will be dazzled by the new paintwork ;)
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by jools »

Antman, to be honest, I wouldn't do 'outside' jobs, because I take too much time over it! Captain slow regarding paint jobs!
Just not a viable thing for me apart from doing my own bikes and maybe mates 'love-jobs'.
I'm sure you know what it's like... -When I was building my house my good ol' chippy mate 'Nert' said:
You can do it rough quickly, and you can do it well slowly, but the expert can do it both quickly and well.
So I can do spray painting well but slowly.

(Bloody 'ell Jon, so what do I sell instead? -The '64 Velo Clubman NEVER will depart, nor the '59 RGS Super Rocket clone, - the '78 Bonnie may have to go (but that'll hurt!), the '89 GS500 is my everyday rider 'go-to' bike that's strong, fast enough, and dead reliable. The '76 GT500 ? (dead orig and superb runner), I'd find it difficult to part with that one too).

Yep, I'm certainly not going to throw the RZ away cheap, maybe I can talk Mary into keeping it in the bedroom.
(EEEEK!)
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Haha, well thats the perennial problem, the best collection always seems to be 'what fits + 1' or if youre me, 'what ive got + 1'.

Personally being a lapsed brit, Id sell the Bonnie... but thats just me, Ive never been a fan of them. :)

One option is to strip the RZ and store it in the loft if you dont need the money and just want the space. Ive a few bikes in boxes as projects for the future and can see me doing that when i run out of space down the line... or building a 3rd shed... hmm...
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

Without wishing to kick you in the guts Jools, probably another thing preventing a sale is the fact it’s a 250 and not a full fat 350. Whilst there is little difference between the two in the real world, someone spending their hard earned is likely to look for the most bike they can get or the most desirable model.

Whilst my preference is 350’s or 400’s, I do have a 250E too, as that was my first proper bike back in the day but there is no way 250 prices will ever challenge 400 prices imho.

Like JonW says, hang on to it if you can, as it looks like a really nice bike.
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by jools »

Or maybe do the 350 conversion myself... I have the barrels and head, that's a start.
Prob cost a fair bit though, Pistons, bore, PVs, oil pump upgrade, carbs maybe... Hmmmm...
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

yes you need the carbs too and your pipes will hold it back a bit at high revs, tho give it a bit more torque down low. Sure its a lot of work, but buyers who see you have 350 barrels could find the same info out with a google and that might put them off too. you could sell the cyls and reduce the price of course or just see if you can find the other bits for good prices perhaps. Pistons are ok money on amazon and ebay at times, rebore would be round $200 locally id think, oil pump youd get easier in the uk and have Arrow redo it but thats more money yet a good selling point, carbs 100 - 200, pipes... well they can cost anything you like.
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

Bidding on the Black LC topped out at just shy of $5k, which is about right imo but the guy has relisted it with a $6k buy it now price. Not sure that he will get any takers at that money tbh but I guess we’ll see.

There is a matching numbers 350 also now listed on EBay, which looks like a solid bike, so it will be interesting to see what money that sells for as a market indicator.
Last edited by Ozhammer on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

I wish youd link them... ;)

This is the one you mention, pretty nice paintwork and looks quite complete, but to be really nice would take quite a bit of money and work:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/yamaha-RD-3 ... Sw-RhabX6I

This has been on there for ages... wonder why lol
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/YAMAHA-RD25 ... 0005.m1851