OMG WHID

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

OMG WHID

Post by OzzyElsie »

Another bloody project :oops:

I've gone over to the dark side (well, at least its a Yamaha)

Off Gumtree for $100 and a 2 hour turn around - as close to free as you are likely to get.

The first thing done was to give the poor thing a tubs - it was encrusted. I think its history is that it has been used as a commuter for the last 25 years and has never seen the inside of a garage. Some crud, like chain lube and brake dust on the wheels, will never be cleaned up but generally the finish is testimony of Yamaha's original OEM standards. The worst damage is the rust pitting on the forks although two rust bubbles under the paint work on the tank don't bide well. Front brakes work, the rear doesn't. A quick check of the electrics with a flattish battery shows most working but not enough charge to kick over the motor (I hope that was the case - batt on charge at the mo).
The before and after.

There is white over spray all over the bike. Some determined rubbing with finger, cloth and cutting compound got the desired results - shows promise but lots of work.
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: OMG WHID

Post by OzzyElsie »

I was thinking of keeping it fairly OEM but getting a second set of wheels and fitting 50/50 adventure touring tyres and then doing some adventure touring. This appeals to me on two levels, the adventure touring and the shit stir value.

Did a little more work..............

This might be an explanation of why it was parked and why it was $100 :? .

Interesting carbs - cleaned and all back together again. I think I got it plumbed right. I haven't got it connected to the tank and fuel tap yet (to be cleaned). Four down draft Mikuni's makes any 2t twins carbies look simply :P .

Is this rust tube on the tank a pressure return from the fuel pump?......

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

The OEM tools didn't see a lot of use............

JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Ohhh I'd love those tools :)

Sure looks like a project that will keep you busy G!
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by jools »

Well what have I done!
I know it's not quite the biz for this forum, being euro, but at least it's a smoker...
Been trying to prize this old Trials Bultaco out of me mate in Perth for some years. All matching numbers, turns over smoothly, all gears good, pretty complete and original 1968 - 71 M49 Sherpa T.
Barn-find eh? Took a great holiday in beautiful Perth last week and dragged it out of Rick's storage, and a FOC deal done.
Just got to find a cheap way of getting it across to Vic from Perth.

BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Nice unusual project, I have a mate who’s mad keen to get one of those
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

It was bit of a struggle with the dodgy/flattish battery - had to hook up the jumper leads. There was a bit of head scratching but eventually made it gravity feed and it fired almost instantly. Once the bowls were full the engine ran and generated enough vacuum to keep the show on the road.

All good - sounds mechanically aok - no leaks found. There's now work on the electrics (no indicators or horn) and the rear brake.

The fuel tap is a bit dodgy. I might replace it with a non vacuum operated one (there is no need for vacuum operated - even if fuel leaks it won't flood the engine),

Another one saved from the crusher/tip

OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

jools wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:58 pm
A good project Jools :Clap:

Pretty rare I would have thought.