10% gst charges on overseas purchases

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

10% gst charges on overseas purchases

Post by gman »

G'day. As allot of you would know the Australian government introduced a 10% tax to overseas purchases of items under $1000 in july 2018. Before it was only on goods above $1000. Now if you buy from a seller oveseas through ebay there is 10% added at the time of transaction.
I am wondering has anyone bought of smaller sellers like yambits or partzilla and had gst tax added?? or not added.
I have bought allot of bike bits through ebay over the years but i now wonder if i can save a buck to buy through other sellers.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 10% gst charges on overseas purchases

Post by hybrid »

Yeah they can't force overseas sellers to abide by our laws.
They actually only have to comply anyway if their sales are over a certain amount. Can't remember what it is.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Hence its the big players, but also thats cos when they sent out their people to ask if these people would play ball they went for the big guys first, i should imagine ebay would bring a lot more 10%s than yambits etc.
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

To be really boring - with eBay as it's an Australian based market place they are selling in in Australia, hence GST applies. If you buy from an overseas seller on their website that is domiciled overseas it is not an Australian purchase and GST doesn't apply. Save yourself the 10%.....
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Some places are now getting on a new bandwagon and charging GST, but i doubt they will ever send it to the ATO, I came across this buying parts for a toaster just this week. hmm.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Yeah the ATO has been working with some big overseas players and they are now collecting GST.
Places like summit racing etc.

Also, I know my freight forwarder (comgateway) are also collecting GST on items before they are forwarded.
How the ATO has convinced them to comply I don't know...
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's