Can You Appeal A Stat Write Off?

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Can You Appeal A Stat Write Off?

Post by OzzyElsie »

Okay brains trust; Can You Appeal A Stat Write Off? From a quick google search I'm pretty sure the answer is 'no' but I thought I would garner the combined wisdom of the forum's brains trust and its expansive knowledge in all things dodgy.

I find it hard to believe this bike is a stat write off. I can only see superficial cosmetic damage.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/prospec ... ved_search
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: Can You Appeal A Stat Write Off?

Post by JonW »

Looks like its sold so cant see the pix.

I think once its recorded its a done deal.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Yeah as far as I know, there is no way around it.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

That's how they feed the spare parts business......

And it's a lottery between the different states too. Call me paranoid? Check out the difference between stat write offs in Vic vs. Qld. Vic hardly a scratch, Qld need train to have run over your bike........
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

They changed the write-off laws in NSW to stop cars being stolen for parts. So now there's no such thing as a repairable write-off.
That actually hurt the parts (including wreckers) industry because SOME people were repairing the cars legitimately. But way too many were buying a repairable write-off, then stealing a car for the parts to fix it, and on-selling it.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
boars

Post by boars »

pkay wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:25 pm That's how they feed the spare parts business......

And it's a lottery between the different states too. Call me paranoid? Check out the difference between stat write offs in Vic vs. Qld. Vic hardly a scratch, Qld need train to have run over your bike........
I dunno, I had a Gixxer as a write off that really looked like it could have been repaired - was a stupidly low speed hit and drop.
Maybe my store just wanted me to buy a new bike and quoted high - not even sure the insurance company sent out an actual assessor.

I had a car rip off one of my rearsets in another accident and still managed to stay upright - was a bit hairy - thank fuck for my boots. They replaced the frame on that one. I swear the bike felt nicer than it did from the factory after that. I wonder how close the labor costs + frame cost must have been to writing that one off.

Hrmn I have the exact model bike as OP's link in my garage, 2007 Z750 in green. Solid bike.
It's done 100,000kms and never missed a beat - reliable bastards - probably selling it to fund more 2T parts though -I don't need that many horses, or so my lady says.

The only thing you can do with a stat write off is take the parts and find a rolling chassis that isn't a write off and transfer parts across. or flog the parts off - god I hate selling things though... people are insanely frustrating to deal with when selling parts or anything at all really. It's always a pleasant shock when someone contacts you and doesn't faff you about.