Removing Clutch 1986 29L RZ250

Post by 86 29L NZ »

Hey team - I'm wanting to remove the clutch - and advice, tricks? Cheers
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: Removing Clutch 1986 29L RZ250

Post by JonW »

Its an easy job to be honest, if you dont have a haynes manual for the bike you should buy one anyway as its useful to have.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

Removing the clutch would be about the easiest and straight forward job the DIY'er can do. Stopping the basket from turning is about the only 'trick' I can think of. There are holding tools but I use a rag jammed into the primary drive with success and without injury (to man, bike or wallet). Some say not to do it because it strains the bearing and seals.

One of the new battery powered rattle guns would be nice as well. I haven't used one on the clutch nut but I've used them in other applications like trying to get the bottom Allen key bolt at the bottom of the forks undone - bloody brilliant, fast and painless.
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Yes the battery rattle gun is my way of doing this.

If youre just replacing the plates you dont need to remove the nut tho... if you do remove it you will need a new locking tab FYI.