Best cable lube? And any methods

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Best cable lube? And any methods

Post by BRG1200 »

What do you fellas think is the best cable lube, and has anyone got any interesting methods for applying it
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: Best cable lube? And any methods

Post by JonW »

IO bought a cheapo clamp tool years ago, still works fine.

I use cheapo fake WD40 for cleaning out and then good branded lube after.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

What actual lube (for the cable!) do you use?
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Ive used lost of things over the years, These days Ive some silicone WD40 that works well, but i tend to redo cables over time, its not a fit n forget thing. Dont use grease, it will just all bind up as it dries out.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

As for WD40 I tend to buy it in the large plastic jugs and decant it into squirt bottles to spray liberally. Windex type bottles work pretty well and it is a ton cheaper than aerosols.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

I only use WD for cleaning, its not really any use as an oil as there is little of that in it, its even worse if you use one of the cheaper copy products. Perhaps your way has more oil in it as its not all propellant.

Anyway, WD40 is not what i would recommend for cables. The stuff i use is some other brand version and its the silicone i was after in the mix really to lube the cable. Ive no real proof its any better than anything else, but you asked what i used lol.

In the old days people taped a small plastic bag to a cable and hung it up and then filled the bag with oil and let it run down the cable. That would work of course, but ive found you should always clean the cables first or all you are doing is creating more deritus 'paste' to help it wear; think valve grinding paste lol

The best fix is new cables really with some light lube in em. But cleaning and light oiling old ones will help for sure. I try to find as many new cables as I can with my restos. Certainly the clutch and throttle ones. Choke (on some bikes) and speedo/tacho are less of a worry and clean up well, but can often be very trashed and worn even tho they look fine.
mboddy
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by mboddy »

mboddy
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by mboddy »

I love my favourite Wurth products.
Maintenance Spray, Rost Off Plus, Rubber Care, electrical tape, etc,
I have the Wurth 91 piece tool kit in the boot.
And a couple of weeks ago I bumped into the Wurth rep and she gave me the 2020 calendar. Woo Hoo.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

haha cool.

I love their plastic repair products (I couldnt be without their replast and filler) and brake cleaner. Their gasket remover is superb too. A billion good products in their catalogue :)
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

I’ll take the Wurth tip if I can get any of their stuff locally
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Just look on their site and find the local wurth rep, either meet them or have them come to you. Wurth make some fantastic products and the pros use them as they work well. Im a big fan.
Antman
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Antman »

Try G96 it’s a gun oil designed to clean lubricate and preserve.
It’s a bio synthetic oil that has been designed for extremely adverse conditions rain, mud, snow, sand etc.

I’ve been using it for years great product.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

G96, I’ll have a look
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Old thread but I recently bought a Motion Pro cable oiler thats a new design and also some of their expensive lube, which turns out is really good. lol. you get what you pay for as ever ;)