Rd350LC CDI

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Rd350LC CDI

Post by BRG1200 »

Orite fellas, anyone got any great ideas or alternatives for replacing an LC CDI?
Good old Louis at Pitmans down here in SA has gone over my project LC, straightened the frame, gone through the brakes, gone through the wiring but the bugger won’t fire any more.
Are there any replacement recommendations out there?
I recall Zeeltronics were doing RZ bits but that was some years ago.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: Rd350LC CDI

Post by JonW »

Zeel still do CDIs, have a google and deal directly with Borut, tho dunno how fast post will be.

best bet is look for a used oem maybe?
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Maybe a bit of both.
Ancient unproven second hand electronics not my bag baby
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

The OEM LC CDI is pretty robust tho, Im kinda surprised yours has died to be honest. Defo sure its not the stator/pickup thats the issue?
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Fuctifino. Bike needed a lot of love when I got it, must be say 18 months ago maybe more. I cleaned it up generally and cleaned the goop and so on out of the carbs and it fired right up - seemed like a pretty happy motor. Was surprised.
Could see frame wasn’t wuite straight and other issues I didn’t have time to deal with at the time so after a while I put it in at the garage where it has been stripped down, frame straightened, brakes gone over, new tyres and a variety of other thing done.
The young mechanic working on it has done me a big favour by working on it in his “spare” time at mates rates when really he has a ton of proper paying jobs to do.
I spoke to him frankly last few days and the bike is “done” to the point I needed it to, but mysteriously refuses to fire up.
He hasn’t got any more spare time and has been over the loom as far as he reasonably can.
I want to get the bike in for an inspection and new SA rego plate,
CDI is the last thing he can think of. I have another CDI which I can try. I have had experience of dicky RZ CDI’s and replacement was the way to go.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

The 29L and 29K 83/4 RZ CDIs are the worry ones. Im not saying its not the CDI, just thats its rare IME on an LC.

I'd check the earths, Ign switch and the stator before I blamed the CDI for no spark, just my 2c. It could also be be the coil, but they are long lived as well...

I would go there and check all the connections and test the switch, defo check the kill switch as well. A meter is your friend for continuity.

Bear in mind that lots of modern bikes have the kill switch opposite wired to our type, modern mechanics dont always understand the way our bikes work. just work your way thru it. If hes earthed the kill switch cabling cos thats how he thinks it works... well...

I'd bet within an hour of checking stuff I bet it runs. it ran before... I doubt the spark would vanish like that unless its something simple. Earth, connector, bad wiring. etc.
mboddy
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by mboddy »

LC CDIs can die when your 'mechanic' puts a voltage through them to check them.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

mboddy wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:44 am LC CDIs can die when your 'mechanic' puts a voltage through them to check them.
Ahh.... :roll:
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

He’s pretty experienced with LC’s, rebuilds, mods and races them.
mboddy
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by mboddy »

Just try your spare CDI.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Will have a look on fleabay.
Will need another one for the other project.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Well, the 250/350LC came home today, Mr Pitman The Younger has been right through it and “polished the turd”, so to speak!
No disrespect to the bike or the ace chap I bought it off, I just love that expression.
It now looks like a well assembled “survivor” but no spark.
I’ll have a look over it tomorrow when work and domestic duties have been covered😁👍
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Zeeltronic CDI posted comes in at $200 on the nose, plus putting a connector box on it