Parts interchangeability - DT175 in this case but a general topic

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Parts interchangeability - DT175 in this case but a general topic

Post by BRG1200 »

Not sure if any of you guys have any hints or tips on this general subject.

I'm not looking at RD's or RZ's in this case but a 1987 DT175.

Rash purchase to get my teenagers on bikes, peppered with misplaced optimism, the bike has good bones but stripping off the clutch side after running it round the block and found the clutch side contained a fair amount of foreign material, bugger all oil (235ml) and completely fragged clutch plates.

Surprisingly no obvious damage or wear to most parts - but the clutch basket heavily notched. Notched to the point I'd ideally replace it as well, but looking around a new one is in the region of $400 which is making this bike wildly expensive for what it is.
I don't want to start filing down clutch baskets, various reasons for that not worth going into here.

Does anyone have any great ideas where I can get a replacement - maybe from another model - which isn't so expensive?

The same part from say a Blaster is more like $200 and contains same components so I am baffled as to reason for price diffs.

Right now I'm thinking replace the plates and put it all back together, see how it goes.
I'm confident it will work as it worked surprisingly well in the form I purchased it, the clutch dropping out only showed itself when very lightly "giving it the beans" so to speak on a straight road. Had expected a nasty notchy action with 2.5mm deep ruts in the boss tangs, but wasn't really apparent.

Would be interested in your thoughts and general musings chaps.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: Parts interchangeability - DT175 in this case but a general topic

Post by JonW »

If the part number is the same (the first 3 letters/numbers) then its the same part... if not its different some how.

A lot of yam parts have the same middle part number as thats the bit that means 'clutch basket' etc. the first bit is the bike it originated on and the last bit is the revision. The revision can be colour or quite different etc.

You may well get a blaster part to fit, but there is highly likely something different that youve not considered, more plates/different gear or hole/bush size/or other dimension etc. You might make this fit but should ask on the IT/DT forum (there is one, I was on it years back with my DT200R) as someone may well have already done this.

What about used ones? are they rare or all trashed?
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Yes, I understand the segmentation of parts numbers, middle section being a very broad descriptor such as "piston" or whatever part, I was using the blaster as an example as it turned up in a search, similar (doubtless not same) assembly containing similar if not identical number of components and machining operations but apparently half the price.

With all the similar models in Yamaha's line-ups I was wondering if, say, clutch baskets might be the same on a number of exciting and unexpected models so I could replace those pesky first three digits and broaden my search - clutching at straws really.
Another support for this is the 5 stud or 4 stud baskets shown in service manuals etc for different year models (with less rivets or screws each year...)

Anyway, the basket deffo needs replacing now as I've found the back plate is cracked, which would have led to a big internal bang at some stage.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

yes, but what i was saying is that they dont use another 'bike' part of the part number for the same part on another bike. if they use the blaster part on a DT175, it will still have the old part number etc. Its why RZs have some 4L0 parts on them.

What you can do is replace some parts of this stuff with other models to maybe use more or larger plates (ie the FZR etc plates fit the RZ and have more meat) or better springs/bolts ie on the 500 you use R6 clutch bolts as the 500 ones are horrible things etc. But, you will not find an exact match to your DT175 numbered part with another number.

Clutch baskets have a number of places where they can be different, eg. The ring gear, the small gear, the hole and the bush, the physical width, the notches and number and the depth of those/the basket etc etc They might look the same but they probably arent. But... maybe a later DT125 or 200 basket will fit a 175 if its the same base engine, tho might not... hence why I figured asking on their forum is a good idea?
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

Given how long that model was on sale D, surely there must be a ready supply of second hand parts out there? I am pretty sure that the basic engine design stayed the same from around 1984 through the final versions in the 2000’s, so a clutch basket from any of those years should work.

HTH
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Haven’t seen anything on evilbay etc, but haven’t checked any wreckers yet due to shifts, school hols etc.
Earlier DT175’s seem to have 5 spring arrangement and more rivets, pretty sure engine internally little changed from the 70’s. (This is a good thing in my books for most bikes where it applies).
$400 for a new basket, $40 ish for gaskets, $60 for fibre plates, hopefully scrub up the steels. New shift shaft for not sure how much and a new shift lever. Plus all the other bits I’ve already done. It’s proving the old adage that its cheaper to pay more for the best one rather than buy a cheapie and try to fix it up.
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

Unfortunately these little tail irons often lead a hard life, so finding one that hasn’t been abused in some fashion can be difficult. I picked up a 1980 model last year for very reasonable money that was two previous owners with just 9,500 kms on the odometer. It is having new paint applied at the moment and I am really looking forward to doing a bit of gentle off roading on it when I get it back together.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Nice one.
I’m told by a mate who owns a lot of trail bikes the early monoshock ones are better off road bikes than the later ones. Mostly due to more sticky-out bits to break on the later ones.
mboddy
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by mboddy »

As far as I know the Yamaha DT175 is the most common 2 stroke ever. I loved my DTs at the time but the ITs do it for me these days. My current Vinduro weapon is an IT125 which shares a lot with the DTs. Phill's IT125 is based on the DT175 engine I gave him. Later DT175 engines will take the 1977 to 1979 cylinders which are very lively engines.
But the newest DT175s had a disk brake and 35mm forks which are good things.
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

The DT175 must have been one of the longest running models ever in Yamaha’s line up having been in production from 1973 all the way through to 2006, that is quite something.

I love mine for its ability on and off road as much as it’s classic looks, although I am almost as fond of my KE175D, which is an underrated alternative.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Trouble seems to be they’re a great lightweight, but owners grind them into dust then discard them 🙄
Hiatus on my bike until wife/HMV goes back to work on tuesday...