Prising LC clock rims off

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Prising LC clock rims off

Post by BRG1200 »

LC 250/350 project is now on the road with its new South Australian rego, but the speedo is making a horrible noise.

These units are sort of sealed in manufacture, but people do get them open to fix or freshen them up.

Any particular tips from anyone who’s done yhis?

Or just “prise the edge up gently”?
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: Prising LC clock rims off

Post by Ozhammer »

No need to open them up for this issue in my experience D, just place them face down on your workbench and squirt a small amount of lubricant into the cable drive hole. Don’t overdo it, or you could have the excess run onto the front face of the gauge.

I personally use WD40 wet lube with PTFE and left the clocks face down overnight to make sure it got right into the cup
mechanism and my Speedo is now as quiet as a mouse.

If the above fails, they can be disassembled by easing off the casing bezel ring but you need to do this in stages around the entire circumference from the underside, in order to prevent cracking or distortion of the bezel ring.

HTH
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Thanks fellas
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Put some other clocks on which don't have the orrible droning noise, dropped a drop or two of chain lube into the boss on the back of the clocks in both the "new" clocks and the existing clocks.

Will put the original clocks back on at some point to see if the lubrication sorted the noise.

For ythe moment the clocks I've put on go up to 200kph, and the old clocks only went up to 160kph - so I've increased the speed of my LC by 40kph in one fell swoop! ;-) That's cheaper than porting and tuning, eh! ho ho ho

Will experiment in due course with prising off the rim of a broken set of clocks I have in my spares box.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Hmm chain lube wouldnt be my first choice as it firms up once the propellant flashes off as its a spray grease, not an oil. I fear that it also wont penetrate enough and where it does it could stick up the works, rather than have them freer. Something more oily would be my choice. Dont flood it tho, if you get it on the dial it will mark it.
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

Have to say I too was surprised by your choice of lubricant D but I guess some chain lubes solidify less than others? Like I said in my initial reply the WD40 Wet Lube with PTFE seemed to work well on my clocks, so hopefully you won’t have any issues.

As a side note, it still took a while for my speedo to read relatively accurately and I only found out that it was under reading, after copping a ticket doing 130 km/h on the F3!