RD/RZ Frame and Engine number questions

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
exup

RD/RZ Frame and Engine number questions

Post by exup »

Hi,
well I picked up a few years ago a bunch of RZ frames and engines and just wanted to confirm if the engine numbers always matched the frame number in Australia, ie there was not some weird numbering system happening.

As with the RZ250 was limited release to only AU markets I think.
So I have some frames with 1AH, 1XH, 34J and engines with 35G,1GA, 34J

I used the site below to check to see if they are recorded in the Gov Roads Registry the frame numbers came back ok (not stolen) but substituting the engine number as a frame did not show any results. I suppose its possible that their registry records were just lost. As we are talking over 30 years ago and maybe these have not been on the road in a very long time.

Thoughts/comments?

https://transact.ppsr.gov.au/
Watch paint dry on my RZ restoration channel :D
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoW1ur ... v5S6IFHXBw
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: RD/RZ Frame and Engine number questions

Post by Ozhammer »

AFAIK, up until around 1988, Yamaha engine and frame numbers should match and that’s definitely the case for any RZ’s I believe.

HTH
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Pretty sure the frames and engine numbers would always match out of the factory way past 1988, would not be surprised if they still match on new Yamahas now.

Match the frames up with the engines if you can.

For model designations go on RD350LC.net
This is an excellent resource.

If you’re selling parts hit me up on private messages, there are parts I am after, and parts a lot of RD/RZ people are after.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

The PPSR site will show you if there’s a financial interest etc on the “bike”, always go via the govt sites (a mere $2 in South Australia!) not via some $25 or $30 equifax type site as its a waste of $23.

You’re right, a lot of the very old rego records are just lost, if a bike hasn’t been registered for a couple of decades. I speak for South Australia, don’t know how other states went.

If you have s decent complete 35G motor for sale call me 😁👍
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

RZ250 wasn’t limited release to Australia, different markets got essentially the same bikes, with slightly different model names/codes. E.g. the RZ350 (35G) would be called an RD350 “LC2” (31K) in the UK with a different paint scheme but 99% the same bike. The RZ250 (34J) in UK would be an RD250 “LC2” (29L), still really the same bike.

UK got mostly 350’s and hardly any 250’s because of changing learner laws, Australia got more 250’s and less 350’s because of its learner laws.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

As has been said above. lots of 250s came to Aus but other markets got em too.

Matching numbers is normal for these yams.

A 1AH is a F1 350, I assume these frames have their chassis plates as well as their numbers? A 1XH is an F2 250... as has been said look at Xaviers rd350lc.net site for more info.

Whats your plan with them?
exup

Post by exup »

Thanks guys for confirming this I will match up the engines to the frames. It might be possible to make 3x RZ350 and 1 RZ250, they will be ready in 2060 ish.....
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Well don’t hang about - get in the garage! I’ll be dead by 2060, I want to see them before then!
exup

Post by exup »

If you have trouble sleeping I started to record the sloow progress on my youtube channel. Its a bit rambling so certainly not exciting stuff...

JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Had a quick look at the first video. Youre going to need a JIS + screwdriver set, the no 2 at very least, or you will kill all the screw heads and please buy the correct flywheel puller, its cheap and a 3 legged puller will ruin the flywheel. JIS drivers work to dig in not cam out like phillips. JIS driver I recommend this one as it has a built in impact driver (other suppliers are available, this is just an example): https://japan.webike.net/products/20674778.html norbo, amazon, ebay will supply you a flywheel puller etc.

Apologies if you already have these tools, they will save time and hassle in the long run and are not exy. The screwdriver is a must tho as anyone who works on our bikes will tell you and the flywheel puller saves you an expensive search for another flywheel now that spares have all but dried up.

Good projects. I spied a different (aftermarket?) swinger on one of them as well. nice.
exup

Post by exup »

Ha well spotted re the swinging arm that is a metmachex (UK) circa 1988. Came with the bike when I bought in 92 back in the UK.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

I’m looking forward to your youtube vids.
Jon is totally right about the Japanese Industry Standard screwdrivers, an absolute must to prevent chewing up screw heads, huge difference.
And the puller
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

+2 for the JIS screwdrivers, wish I had discovered them back in the day, as they would likely have saved me a lot of cursing! You can buy the Vessel brand sets on EBay for very reasonable money and they typically include the Megadora impact screwdriver.

I am now a subscriber to your You Tube channel and look forward to watching your content as it gets uploaded.
exup

Post by exup »

I think I do mention about JIS in my thrid video on stripping down the carbs.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Enjoying your youtube vids 👍