RZ250 Rebuild!

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
casabonka
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Re: RZ250 Rebuild!

Post by casabonka »

Bit of an update after a while!

Engine has been pulled apart and looks very good inside. Waiting on a new clutch basket as it was damaged on removal due to a nut that must've been installed by a hammer.

Some happy snaps of the motor

the rolling frame is looking good!

but the best part is the tank, she's nearly done and looking incredible.

fairings are about to get painted, exhausts off to the powdercoaters tomorrow, braided brake lines ready to go on, and itching to get it on the road!
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

Looking good there mate, that’s gonna be a nice bike when it’s finished. There’s always something satisfying about getting the rolling chassis back together
casabonka
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by casabonka »

Couple of updates!

Engine has been painted and ready to bolt back together.

Tank is also ready for a paint, and should start getting some colour on it this week.

Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

That’s coming together nicely, looking forward to the next update already.
casabonka
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by casabonka »

Yeah I’m really pleased how it’s all coming together.
Hoping to have it on the road by July/august all going to plan.

Should be getting the exhausts back from the powder coater this week.

Forgot to post the grab rail that I picked up from the chromers yesterday.

casabonka
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by casabonka »

Engine’s in!

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Great job there.im in the process of rebuilding my 1980 250lc.a few questions if you don't mind.did you re bore your cylinders? Did you replace crankshaft. Where do you source your parts for? Your feedback would be great.cheers
casabonka
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by casabonka »

Jimbo wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:49 pm Great job there.im in the process of rebuilding my 1980 250lc.a few questions if you don't mind.did you re bore your cylinders? Did you replace crankshaft. Where do you source your parts for? Your feedback would be great.cheers
Hey mate!
No, pretty much everything motorwise has stayed as is apart from the clutch basket we broke. Before the pull down it seemed to have good compression so we didn’t want to mess with it too much.

Majority of parts have come from yambits over in the uk. Shipping can add up but I’ve tried to do mostly bulk orders and then it’s arrived within a week. Wemoto is another option which have an Aussie warehouse.

Good luck with the rebuild!
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Ahh, I thought you'd done the crank seals? After all this time I would be defo doing these on a neglected bike.

Also... yambits is fine for many things, but not everything, er crank seals... only and always fit OEM crank seals. The others lack the teflon lip coating.

Im sure there was a thread on here about yambits and also where to buy parts. Ive started buying parts on webike using the part numbers (parts book is on rd350lc.net) and also on the Aussie online sites, compare the pair etc. buy whats cheaper and buy ahead of time so youre not in a rush.
casabonka
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by casabonka »

JonW wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:11 am Ahh, I thought you'd done the crank seals? After all this time I would be defo doing these on a neglected bike.

Also... yambits is fine for many things, but not everything, er crank seals... only and always fit OEM crank seals. The others lack the teflon lip coating.

Im sure there was a thread on here about yambits and also where to buy parts. Ive started buying parts on webike using the part numbers (parts book is on rd350lc.net) and also on the Aussie online sites, compare the pair etc. buy whats cheaper and buy ahead of time so youre not in a rush.
Yeah new crank seals and valve seals, gaskets, just nothing ‘structural’ if that’s the right term?
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Oh ok, thats cool then. Just didnt want you to have gone this far and not done them, its great insurance etc.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Thanks for the information.not sure if it's better to rebore the cylinders ,can they be re sleeved or better off new.also what are the aftermarket radiators like on eBay.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Jimbo, you wont find new yamaha cyls now sadly, well not affordably if you could... unless you meant 'new' as i 'better ones than what i have'? If so youre looking at 600+ for them for sure now if you can find them

what size are they on? they can go out to 2.00, but its a thin liner after that.

Rads vary in quality and fit, if you get a good one its fine. most of them are ok now to be fair but its still a gamble of course.