Post by CNKXU1 »

Inspiring
casabonka
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Re: RZ250 Rebuild!

Post by casabonka »

So close to completion now!
Bit of touch up to the rear fairing, ready for the grab rail, mirrors to go back on, finish off the windscreen and then off to get a blue slip.

Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

More great work Casa, trouble is they always ‘look’ finished, long before they ever are….. :lol:
casabonka
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by casabonka »

Hi guys!
Been a while between posts. From being on its way to get a blue slip and the engine dying on the way, we’ve been chasing an electrical issue which has seen us replace the cdi and ignition coil but with no luck.

Does anyone know what the power/voltage output readings of the CDI should be?
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Does it only do this when warm? If so I'd suspect the stator. Try swapping that out.
casabonka
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by casabonka »

JonW wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:50 pm Does it only do this when warm? If so I'd suspect the stator. Try swapping that out.
No, it started, and then died and hasn’t started since.
Tested all elements stator, CDI and coil and all 3 seem to show a power reading, but not sure if the values are correct. Absolutely stumped now.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

I assume when you kick it over there is a spark? if not its likely the kill switch circuit...

Check all the connectors and make sure when ignition is on that the kill switch wiring isnt earthing.

And... check the switches? check the ignition and the kill. Both can cause intermittent issues
casabonka
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by casabonka »

JonW wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:55 pm I assume when you kick it over there is a spark? if not its likely the kill switch circuit...

Check all the connectors and make sure when ignition is on that the kill switch wiring isnt earthing.

And... check the switches? check the ignition and the kill. Both can cause intermittent issues
Thanks mate, checked that out and gave it a clean and a test, but still no luck. Looks like the replacement ignition coil I got was dead also. Have ordered a new one from the UK, but they have suspended all international mail so who knows how long the replacement will take...
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

The mail is restarting now (systems were hacked) and they will start accepting parcels again soon, the backlog is clearing now, but i expect people will swamp it again quickly. I have stuff im waiting for as well sadly.
casabonka
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by casabonka »

Still on struggle street, got the new ignition coil after spending an extra $60 on fedex and still no luck. Checked all switches, spark plugs, cdi and just won’t start.

All out of ideas now :(
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

back to the start then...

Do you have spark?

If not then you need to trace the ignition system to find out where it fails to proceed. These are pretty simple bikes, if youve swapped lots of the ignition parts (CDI, stator, coil) already then its in the wiring or switches. make sure youre getting power where you need it.
casabonka
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by casabonka »

JonW wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:51 pm back to the start then...

Do you have spark?

If not then you need to trace the ignition system to find out where it fails to proceed. These are pretty simple bikes, if youve swapped lots of the ignition parts (CDI, stator, coil) already then its in the wiring or switches. make sure youre getting power where you need it.
No, no spark.
casabonka
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by casabonka »

Does anyone know what output voltage of the ignition coil should be?