RD400E Yellow Paint Code

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

RD400E Yellow Paint Code

Post by Ozhammer »

Hi folks, I am looking to get the paint set for my second 400E project put in to my painter and wondered if anyone has details of a modern paint match for Competition Yellow (OEM code CPY 0026).

I guess someone may have found a car or other automotive paint that is a good match colour-wise, so any info I can provide my painter to assist him with matching it would be much appreciated.

TIA
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: RD400E Yellow Paint Code

Post by Ozhammer »

Hi Jon, I don’t have anything for the painter to scan unfortunately. I’m not even sure that Competition Yellow was offered as a colour option here in Oz tbh, which might explain the apparent lack of local paint data.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Ahh ok. One of my LCs is in a yellow that looks like the right colour, but Ive no idea if it is or not as someone else painted it (in the uk).
CNKXU1

Post by CNKXU1 »

All I can find is manufacturer code 0026 which may only mean something to Yamaha.
Another forum mentions Fiat Broom Yellow and Ford Signal Yellow
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

If you do find a car paint match Mark, please do let us know.

I bet someone on a UK or USA forum knows the answer to this, just got to hope that car or colour was sold here etc.
CNKXU1

Post by CNKXU1 »

Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

Thanks CNKXU1 I had already found that reference and also the one about Yamaha Giallo Yellow but my painter doesn’t recognise either, so still digging.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

The paint codes are such a problem for us with bikes. The Yam codes i dont think anyone ever had a mix for, tho there was a place in the UK that seemed to be able to sell it by the tin? But you cant get that here.

Ive found that almost every car place will ask for a code to mix to or a panel to scan, the bike places will scan or will already have the knowledge. I know the car places do (or used to) have a book of colours with a hole punched in the middle of each one. You move each one over a panel and can see when it matches. Bike places dont seem to have that, and if modern they use a scanner. I expect most car places do now too but some still have the books, but you need something with the colour.

The problem with the codes or mixes as printed from someone else is that they only work on the same paint system, and 9 times out of 10 the guy you want to use doesnt have that system. grr... Also who is to say that the guy who came up with that mix is right, or if he was scanning a faded panel. Its a minefield.

Anyway... Mark, how wed are you to your painter?

I ask that as next time you come down this way you might want to drop in to the guys that i use just near Hornsby, Collide-a-scope. I'm pretty the boss is away at the mo, but hes really good with old yam colours and for sure will have painted this colour before as bikes is all he does and has been doing this stuff for years. Their work is top notch, but hes not cheap. He has done a lot of LCs and YPVS as I always chat to him about them and hes always got some in being done. He recently had a full 83 RZ set half done when i went to pick up what he'd done for me. He matched my JDM sourced LC tank to do a repair (chipped when dropped in shipping) and also painted the repro side panels to match. Its a difficult colour; champagne white with red and green and gold pearl elements. He also sanded and re-cleared the whole tank for me as the JDM paint work is never great and it was very orange peely with dust inclusions. Its a little known fact that the Japanese are very accepting of naff paintwork jobs sadly, I'll never buy painted stuff fro Japan again. Anyway, I reckon his team nailed it. The cost? Ive forgotten... Im happy with the work so to hell with the price. kinda... lol He also did the great work getting the dents out and painting my XT500 alloy tank, another job im very happy with, and one i think youve seen when you were here once?

Anyway, not an advert for them. Just been happy with what they have done for me over the years.

Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

His work looks top class Jon and I was already aware of Collide a Scope but have yet to try them out. My painter works for an industry customer of mine, thus I get stuff done for mates rates so don’t really want to go elsewhere. He uses the Cromax paint system and when we went through his swatches, I found two options that looked very close, so unless I can find a local code or formula, I will probably just go with what looks close to my eye.

This project will be done on a bit of a tight budget and to use up some of my RD spares, as I need to reduce them a little. Thankfully I already had a lot of the missing or totally rooted items, which is why I took the project on tbh, otherwise it could have been a difficult resto.

I would post some photos of the paint I have had done up to now but the images on my phone are seemingly too large for upload.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

No worries, I get it. Paint is very expensive no matter who does it and its always better to have it be cheaper if you can get it so as that huge bill near the end is less etc.
CNKXU1

Post by CNKXU1 »

The other process I have found that makes colour matching difficult was the use of a silver base coat then one or two colour top coats followed by clear.
I also ran into the problem of forty year old car paint formulas and codes where some paint suppliers just could not do it. PPG and DeBeers were the most helpful.
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

Just letting peeps know that SAPE in West Gosford had the code for Competition Yellow and have mixed some up for me, so now sorted. As I suspected, the paint did have an orange component to it, so hopefully it will turn out as I picture in my mind.
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

The finished bike could be some way off yet Jon, as I am in the process of finishing an XJ650 at the moment, which will be followed by a RD400F, and the first RD400E (white and red), so it’ll be a while before I get to it. I just wanted to get the tins done ahead of time and while I have access to this painter. It will go into storage once it’s finished, so that it is one less thing to wait for when I get to it.

I am about to take a tonne of stuff up to Hamilton Chrome, so that’s likely to clean out the piggy bank somewhat!