RZ250 information

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
RZ250
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

RZ250 information

Post by RZ250 »

Hi,
I have a Yamaha RZ250 1988 that has been rebuilt by a mechanic around 10-15 years ago but has not been ridden for 20 years. All was done except finishing the brakes. It has been garaged since.
They custom painted it a mint green, with brown seat and copper decals (their choice).
It was originally blue and we still have the original blue front fairing. There is a small indent in the tank since restoration (box).
Just thinking about possible demand, value and if the custom colours will put people off?
Hoping there are people here who know.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: RZ250 information

Post by JonW »

These bikes always sell best when original looking, they cost too much to be ugly.

Lots of advice out there, but I'll start.... dont forget to redo the crank seals before you run it.
Ozhammer
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Ozhammer »

+1 for replacing the crank seals at the very least if it has been stood for so long, which is a shame if it hasn’t been run since the previous rebuild but it’s a risk if you don’t.

Paint wise I would advocate for a standard paint job personally, as that will always result in a more desirable (thus valuable) motorcycle imho but some custom schemes can still look good if done well.

At the end of the day it is your bike, so it’s your choice as to which way you go.
penjim
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Post by penjim »

I also think non-standard colors will turn people off. The original colors of the RZ250 look great, so I don't recommend changing them.