Running Honda MT250 ripe for restoration SOLD!

Looking to sell a 2Stroke bike?
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Running Honda MT250 ripe for restoration SOLD!

Post by JonW »

Honda MT250's in an original running state are really hard to find now. This one is not what id call pretty as it was left outside for a while by a previous owner but it only surface cosmetics is all there and it starts and runs really well, cleaning and cosmetic restoration would sort its looks, or just use it as it is and enjoy it. Its a fun and very solid bit of kit.

I bought it as a runner from a friend of mine locally and was going to restore it but I have another of these which I am still in the process of finishing so ive just not had the time so I may as well let someone else have a go with it.

The bike has keys for the ignition and the seat locks. It starts and runs well even on old fuel i got it with, it smokes a bit so I reckon someone has put some extra 2stroke in the fuel as the oil pump works fine now that ive cleaned it up a bit (you can now see it working). These bikes can be registered even though they have no compliance plate as I am told these were pre ADR compliance plates for bikes. This model sold from 1974 to 1976 and is based on the 73/74 CR250 and a lot of parts are common. In fact Honda still sells a lot of parts for these bikes as so much of the Honda range was common to many models back in those days.

Since I got it I have bought a key for the ignition, changed the oil, fixed the slipping kickstart with better parts from my spares, cleaned the carb out, fitted a new airfilter and a good quality MX chain and it starts and runs really well, even the 2 stroke oil pump is working well. It could do with some more general cleaning up and fettling if you wanted to use it daily with things like it will need a new battery and some cleaning of the wiring connections, and I should say that it has a slow puncture in the rearwheel and the tyres are a bit old and cracked. But all that said, I have ridden it off road as it stands and its great fun. A new set of tyres and a few hours of clean up and youd have a fun woods bike.

It has some very hard to find parts on it not least it sports a really good seat... If I had a $1 for every time someone asked me recently if I had a spare seat for an MT, I would be a rich man. Clocks are nice and the tank whilst its lightly dented on the top (would pop out) a repaint would see it like new, these are solid tanks and do not tend to rot out. The bike is very original and would make a solid base for a restoration and is a lot more complete than the junk ive seen on ebay the past few years, plus this one starts and runs well.

I am looking for close on $SOLD for this bike as its stands, and I do have some spares I can sell on top as well since I have spare engines, carbs and other parts if the buyer wants since ive gathered a lot of stuff for these over the years.

Drop me a PM and come and buy yourself some cheap fun! :D

Last edited by JonW on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: Running Honda MT250 ripe for restoration or run as is!

Post by JonW »

I have now started casting the net a bit wider to sell this bike and it will eventually hit ebay if not sold i guess. so if anyone is keen, do drop me an email and lets chat sooner rather than later. :)
slingshot69
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by slingshot69 »

Wish you were in Perth Jon, would love to get my hands on that.

Daz
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Thanks Daz, Im not sure what it would cost to transport it, but im sure its not going to be cheap enough to make it a 'no brainer', shame, Id love it to go to someone who would enjoy it and i could follow how they go with it, either using or restoring it.

Just to give people some idea of how these look after a restoration, Im almost complete with my other one. That one was a non runner and the whole bike was pretty beat up and rusty, much much worse than the one in this sales thread.

Its taken a while but its been a fun and pretty easy resto/upgrade to be honest, a lot of the parts are common to other Honda models of the era so Honda still lists them from dealers and they are cheap if you buy bits from the USA etc. Some parts are of course NLA, but the web has provided and I also have a stock of parts if anyone needed any, from bodywork to engines etc. In fact if anyone has a spare frame they dont want, contact me, Id be keen to see if i have enough to build another whole one! :)

Anyway, this is what my other one looks like, just needs a carb and some messing and it should be a runner... exciting!

w3a51l
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by w3a51l »

They are surely some space-age lookin' shockies you got there JonW!
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

haha, yeah some NOS RedWings. The lower chunky part is the oil reservoir. Some people say theyre crap, others love em, either way the bike came with short Konis and these are way better than those, so no complaints yet :)

So, anyone fancy a fun bike to play with? negotiable on price for the right person and also can help with some of the rarer parts as needed, ive got a bunch of NOS stuff on ebay at the mo, but have plenty of used spares... gowan, you wont get this chance again once this one is sold, ive not seen a well running original bike in ages... and none have keys and most are missing lots of stuff... you know you want to.... ;) :D
L.B.
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by L.B. »

Woohoo,now we can see the LC & the 85 finshed & running? ;-)