How to unrestrict an RZV500?

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
wheels999
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

How to unrestrict an RZV500?

Post by wheels999 »

Hi Everyone,

Looking for a list of things to do in regards to un-restricted a Japan local market version of the RZ500 (RZV500).

Any help or links would be appreciated.

Also, any hints on servicing the same bike after not having run for a year. I know to change all fluides, clean the float bowls of the carbies... and buy a fresh set of spark plugs. Anything else?

Cheers, Markus.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to unrestrict an RZV500?

Post by hybrid »

The pipes have a restriction in them. A smaller pipe welded inside the main pipe.
You might be able to grind the welds off from the end of the pipe, but the pipe insert looks like it needs to come out towards the rear of the pipe.

I robbed these pics from jackson.40

I would also check the jets in the carbs are compare them the RZ jets.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
wheels999
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by wheels999 »

Thanks Hybrid.

I've also found mention of slightly richer jetting requirements after the pipes are de-restricted and apparently later model full power bikes had a slightly different ignition map which made the power drop-off beyond 9000rpm a little less severe.

Gotta get this thing going and sold. I'll put up a few pics once its ready to go.

Cheers, Markus.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

If you're not planning to keep it, I wouldn't worry about the CDI.

Yes have heard of the jetting too.. its mentioned at the bottom of the first post. I've always been dubious of jetting changes after changing pipes, but can't argue with checking the RZ vs RZV jets.

Why are you selling it?
wheels999
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by wheels999 »

hybrid wrote:If you're not planning to keep it, I wouldn't worry about the CDI.

Yes have heard of the jetting too.. its mentioned at the bottom of the first post. I've always been dubious of jetting changes after changing pipes, but can't argue with checking the RZ vs RZV jets.

Why are you selling it?
I imported a batch of 3 bikes and a roller (and various other bits and pieces) from Japan. I always planned to only keep two of them (both RG500s)

Here are some pics of the RZV;

http://picasaweb.google.com/motoracing.japan/RZV500#

Cheers, Markus.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Nice one... are there many left over there?

Not that I need another bike, but I wouldn't have minded a standard one.
Not a fan of the look of the RG, but apparently they go well if the gearboxes hold together.
wheels999
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by wheels999 »

hybrid wrote:Nice one... are there many left over there?

Not that I need another bike, but I wouldn't have minded a standard one.
Not a fan of the look of the RG, but apparently they go well if the gearboxes hold together.
Yeah... still a few about thought the good ones are gradually becoming harder to find.

The RG gearboxes are fine unless you tune the crap out of it. Up to about 110hp is fine with the standard box using the updated versions (or later model) 2nd and one other gear.

Cheers, Markus.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Wow, it looks great... your local to me too... damn... Im kinda tempted too... LOL

I assume its lack of original compliance plate (being an import) would mean it cant go on the road?
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Should be no problem getting one registered.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

I know with cars its a pain as it has to be on a list, then go through a test and then get rego, are bikes the same?

I remember when I thought I might bring my bikes from the UK it was all about having original pipes and other bits, but now the noise marking regs have gone, is that still the same?
wheels999
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by wheels999 »

JonW wrote:Wow, it looks great... your local to me too... damn... Im kinda tempted too... LOL

I assume its lack of original compliance plate (being an import) would mean it cant go on the road?
No problem. Just needs weighbridge certificate, engineers certificate and blueslip (in NSW). Even easier in other states.

Its just a bit of running around and dealing with bureaucrats, but all legit and do-able.

I'm looking at getting it registered in the next couple of weeks. The plan is to offer it for sale with (NSW) rego.

It is in really nice condition... if I could afford to keep it I would.

Keep in mind its got the hand welded aluminium frame that was only available on the Jap spec model as well and slightly higher spec forks.

Cheers, Markus.

Edit.

I have official import permits for all the bikes I imported from the Australian Department of Transport. The above only works for bikes which are built pre-1989. No special list required.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Markus, all sounds good. Its great to know someone who knows what to do with bikes like this. Im defo interested so please do drop me a line when youre done and lets chat, if its affordable at the time then who knows... :)