Re: turbocharged 2 stroke

Post by Antman »

Nitros has been done to.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Takes a long time for the boost to come on... I think that would be pretty useless on the street.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
ash33
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by ash33 »

Nitros is much easier to install, control and it's cheaper by a LOT. All you need is the kit for Fuel injected bikes as they use a fogger in the air box.
You'll need to rejet to suit the "lean" condition though.
azwood80
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by azwood80 »

I no this is an old thread but its a verry talked about topic but verry few have been game to have a decent go at it(i mean a person who knows what end of the turbo goes where)the snow mobile guys are all over it with good results i have put turbos on cars and bikes numorus times but never a 2t but im dieing to try it.and yes we all no that inlet port and exhaust port are open at the same time for a split second but that doesent seem to matter on snowmobiles the are makeing twice the power of a standard engine with boost.
fred99999au
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by fred99999au »

I'd venture that the snowmobiles might not have the ports open at the same time.

Wasn't that was the early benefit of the 2 stroke pipe designs and the acoustics/harmonics about them, the supercharging effect from the reversion pulse?
Jeram
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Jeram »

I thought that it wouldnt work either but someone explained it to me recently.

having the exhaust and inlet ports open at the same time doesnt allow the cylinder to be directly filled with pressurised air.

BUT...

Being that at the end of the exhaust has both a stinger and a turbo rotor there is considerable backpressure.
SO what happens is that after a heap of turbo lag, the pipe becomes pressurised which allows the engine and pipe to function as they usually would, but at a higher pressure.

Make sense?
the following 4T propaganda was brought to you by your local 2T lobby group...

"whats that youve got there?... a 450? "
yeah...
"what cereal packet did that come out of? "
huh?...
"I just wanted to know, because theres nothing worse than finding a piece of shit in the bottom of your corn flakes. "
azwood80
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by azwood80 »

This is something i have read up on lot the exberts s ay the pipe needs to have a lot of back presure so if you have 8psi boost the pipe needs to have about 6psi presure to make decent power and all the air fuel mix wasted out the pipe just help spool the turbo like antilag
azwood80
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by azwood80 »

Also most people that attempt this dont even have the oil feed hooked up or understand what they are doing at all as for the lagg its all about turbo sizeing you cant put a turbo off a wrx on a 250 and expect no lagg garrett make some nice small units like the gt1241 that are more suited or ihi also make them.a rule of thumb is if you motor makes 50hp the turbo should be rated at at least double that of a little over not 450hp
azwood80
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by azwood80 »

There is a vid on you tube /rd350 turbo its a garrett t28 thats a big turbo for a little engine it spools it up.also a lot of people (verible vane) turbos because they contol backpresure well aerocharger even majes one that has its owne oil so no oil lines or pumps that are a big problem when your engine doesent have a internal oil pump
fred99999au
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by fred99999au »

Don't the Variable Vane turbos just have a "vane grille" to direct the exhaust gas onto the turbine blades at different angles in order to control the shaft speed and hence compressor boost?

Don't know how effective this would be at controlling backpressure.
azwood80
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by azwood80 »

fred99999au wrote:Don't the Variable Vane turbos just have a "vane grille" to direct the exhaust gas onto the turbine blades at different angles in order to control the shaft speed and hence compressor boost?

Don't know how effective this would be at controlling backpressure.
yes they do have vanes that change angle to create pitch that directs the gases into the main turbine wheel thease also control boost presure/hence the wheel speed and back prehure where a conventional turbo will bypass the gasses past the exhaurst wheel via a passige with a flap at the end or a external unit that is placed before the turbo.think of vvg turbos like a garden hose running then putting your finger over the end the vanes sorta the same thing is happening in your pipe when the vains close.