RZ500 rear cylinder bank cooling mod

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
wheels999
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

RZ500 rear cylinder bank cooling mod

Post by wheels999 »

I've been reading a bunch of the cooling mod threads on http://www.rzrd500.com and I can't get a clear picture of how this is done.

Is there a guide with pictures somewhere... rathan than four pages of bickering about stealing ideas and profiting unfairly etc...

Cheers, Markus.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RZ500 rear cylinder bank cooling mod

Post by hybrid »

Cooling mods to the rear cylinders?

What you do is drill and tap an inlet into the top case where the water jacket goes in. You then remove the rubber plugs from the barrels, and this is supposed to allow flow around the exhaust ports.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
wheels999
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by wheels999 »

hybrid wrote:Cooling mods to the rear cylinders?

What you do is drill and tap an inlet into the top case where the water jacket goes in. You then remove the rubber plugs from the barrels, and this is supposed to allow flow around the exhaust ports.
You don't sound convinced. Waste of time?
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Note the fittings in the top case.
They are not hooked up in this pic, but you would basically "T" them together and return to the radiator.

Is it worth it? It's a hot topic. Look, if you've got the engine out, why not do it... it certainly can't hurt.
I've not had an issue with mine, but guys have shown that the rears certainly get hotter than the fronts. Some may say that is purely down to them being higher, and also having less exposure to airflow.

I can't say for sure either way, so I'd say do it if you've got the engine out and have the inclination.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's