Yamaha RD400 Pricing / Is this bike worth it?

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
hoody_s13

Yamaha RD400 Pricing / Is this bike worth it?

Post by hoody_s13 »

Hi all,

Looking for help with the value of RD400's (1976-1978) in Australia.

Scanning the classifieds for the past month and a half has shown nothing, apart from an RD350.

I've looked at a couple classifieds in the US and found what I'm after, see below.

Bikes selling for $4000, has 5000 miles on the clock, VIN on frame and engine match. All I feel I'd need to do is source a replica original seat and replace the custom seat here.

I'll need to factor in shipping, customs, GST.... etc.
Let say I get the bike here for $6000 in total, is it worth the money?
Or will I eventually find a cheaper and similar deal here in AUS?

Cheers,
Rhys
tarjla
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Re: Yamaha RD400 Pricing / Is this bike worth it?

Post by tarjla »

I looked for ages and in the end imported one from UK.I wanted an E or F in white and red.Had no real problems shipping etc,just cost more in Australia for rego,pits etc than I thought it would be.The UK bikes have a bigger tank which I prefer and some US one have emission gear on them.The US ones seem cheaper,but my mate has a US one with low mileage but has had a lot of problems with it.I would look for one fully renovated if you are going to import one.There was a green US one for sale over here a few months ago,I will try and find it for you
tarjla
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by tarjla »

Cant find it,must of sold,a friend of mine has a RD400C for sale that is 95% complete but needs renovating,we are in Perth
hoody_s13

Post by hoody_s13 »

I've looked into the US models a fair bit, turns out the Daytona (79' RD400F) was the only one hit with the emissions gear.

I've never looked into importing from the UK, how much did you end up paying for shipping, customs etc? Whats the general value of an RD400 in decent condition from over there?
I rang your mate in Perth after seeing his gumtree ad yesterday, but not exactly what I'm after.

Anyone else got info on RD400 value's in AUS?
L.B.
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by L.B. »

Here's another sweet one,state side tho.
http://usa2strokers.com/forum/forum_pos ... 0-for-sale