MC21 no spark on one cylinder

Topics regarding Honda 2Strokes
neal

Re: MC21 no spark on one cylinder

Post by neal »

Just trace the loom along the way and check for spark at different locations . Check at the connections .

When you want more power or if you PGM has cooked then get a ignitech .
I went the single lobe as it was the easiest thing for me to do . You use 1 small little 5mm ish lobe
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

wellsy4719 wrote:I think I'll forget the ignitech and grinding off a lobe makes no sense at all, if that was what Honda intended they would have deleted it. Anyway, that would isolate that cylinder completely and a one lunger is crazy!
Why would the engine run on 1 cylinder with 1 lobe? PGM cooked seems to be the way honda intended it. Jerams CRM had 8 lobes on it and we run it with 1, just as RGV , TZR and every other v twin
Jeram
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Jeram »

Yep I ground my extra lobes of on my pgm unit on the crm and the ignitech runs like a dream.

You grind off all the ones accept for the REAL trigger bar just before tdc

It fires cylinder 1 then calculates when it needs to fire cylinder 2 (just like most 250 twin 2ts)
Last edited by Jeram on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the following 4T propaganda was brought to you by your local 2T lobby group...

"whats that youve got there?... a 450? "
yeah...
"what cereal packet did that come out of? "
huh?...
"I just wanted to know, because theres nothing worse than finding a piece of shit in the bottom of your corn flakes. "
neal

Post by neal »

It was the 3rd lobe on my flywheel , the rest came off .
wellsy4719

Post by wellsy4719 »

Well, still seems strange to me! I'm still considering the pulse gen gap or computer. If I grind off the lobes and still have no spark on that pot where to next?

NSR World might be the go if that's their specialty, someone might have further info. They might have wankers in their membership but then they probably think the same of our members! I take everyone the same, someone will always have more experience on NSR's to impart so I'll take all I can get and work through it.

Now if it was a D5 BSA Bantam then I could help someone else! It's like the world - everything goes round and round.
Jeram
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Jeram »

wellsy4719 wrote:Well, still seems strange to me! I'm still considering the pulse gen gap or computer. If I grind off the lobes and still have no spark on that pot where to next?

NSR World might be the go if that's their specialty, someone might have further info. They might have wankers in their membership but then they probably think the same of our members! I take everyone the same, someone will always have more experience on NSR's to impart so I'll take all I can get and work through it.

Now if it was a D5 BSA Bantam then I could help someone else! It's like the world - everything goes round and round.
you've tested all the other componants so if you grind the lobes of and install a zeeltronic it will not only most likely fix the problem but it will also increase the bikes performance.

simple reason being that the pgm uses several lobes to gather information on crank position but almost all other igntions just need one single input which is knowing where TDC is.

and if your really worried about cutting the flywheel just buy a cheap flywheel off ebay.

there are mc16 and MC18 flywheels on there at the momment, whether they are the same or similar to the 21 I cant say.
But if you rang around it wouldnt be hard to find a 21 flywheel especially if you extended your seach to UK wreckers.

yeah...
huh?...
"I just wanted to know, because theres nothing worse than finding a piece of shit in the bottom of your corn flakes. "
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

wellsy4719 wrote:Well, still seems strange to me! I'm still considering the pulse gen gap or computer. If I grind off the lobes and still have no spark on that pot where to next?

NSR Worlds collective knowledge could fit in a envelope, and if info doesn't come from 'trusted sources' it can't be any good.

The NSR has 2 triggers and it only takes 1 lobe to pass each of the triggers to register it's time to fire. Even if you did gring lobes off you would only need another flywheel to restore it(cheap from Japan).
neal

Post by neal »

The only difference between the flywheels is the amount of advance .

Like the other chaps are saying - if you have tested everything along the way it may be that your pgm has cooked . Any mates to swap units to test ? It takes 1 min to plug it in , hold that non firing plug , kick it and see what happens .
There are pgm's for sale , but it is cheaper to get an ignitech if you wanted .
wellsy4719

Post by wellsy4719 »

Ok, tell me which lobes to grind off. There are 4 lobes, one by the F/T marks, then a gap, then the next two line up with both pulse gens, then a gap to the last one.
Jeram
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Jeram »

find top dead center on cylinder 1

At TDC a lobe should have just finished passing over one of the pickups/pulse gens.

this is generally the one you want.

but first of all, order yourself a zeeltronic ignition as they take a few weeks to turn up via post from europe.

the other guys on here can confirm which lobe to grind off and exactly which model of zeeltronic you need

yeah...
huh?...
wellsy4719

Post by wellsy4719 »

Thanks for that. Anyone confirm which lobes to cut off? Where can I get a zeeltronic or ignitech and which is best?
DuncanB
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by DuncanB »

EPApolice wrote:Join the NSR forum you might get better info there. Be warned though they are mostly tossers
http://www.nsr250.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=2
That seemed like a fairly harsh comment, so I went and had a look.... You were bang on the money! lol
Project RD350LC. Finished YL2C.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

http://www.zeeltronic.com/page/home.php

There are contact addresses there.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
neal

Post by neal »

Are you able to test your pgm on a mates bike ?

Only modify the flywheel after you have either unit in your hands .
It will be the 3rd lobe from the left that you want . You select the single lobe setting on the ignitech ( for eg ) , and set the limits for the powervalve motor and then it is almost right . You can test for spark on each plug in the test function . Once you have it running you can have it fine tuned on the dyno by a decent operator .

If you get an ignitech unit , get the cable too
Jeram
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Jeram »

I cannot recommend ignitechs anymore after receiving a faulty unit and having them refuse to replace or repair it. The unit would not control the servo motor and I proved that my wiring was correct by installing another ignitech on the bike.
Ignitech used to be brilliant but their quality has deteriorated over the past few years.

Customer service and quality on the zeeltronics has now surpassed ignitechs in my opinion.

yeah...
huh?...