hybrids YZR500 project

Post your Project Bike threads here.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

hybrids YZR500 project

Post by hybrid »

Note that this info is being copied from another website, so it may appear that I'm talking to myself at times.

My 500 project was originally going to be a TZR2503MA framed bike.
I've since seen the error in my ways, and I'm now going to use a Mick Costin framed bike. I pick the frame up next week.

Many of you will probably want to hang me up for this, but heres the bike as I bought it a year or so ago

So far, the bits I have collected for it are:
TZR USD forks
Marvic racing wheels
RGV banana swinger
RGV WhitePower shock with remote res (although Mick tells me I may not be able to use this with his frame due to its length)
GXSR 750 4 pot calipers

The part that is sure to spark plenty of debate is the fuel injection.
I've built a megasquirt unit (http://www.megasquirt.info) for this, and bought the throttle body injection from a GPZ1100 (TBI, fuel pump, TPS).
The megasquirt is a programmable unit using a laptop, palm pilot etc, and can also control ignition with an upgrade. The newer version does both straight out of the box.

Plenty of people have said it wont work - I dont yet see why it wont. Someone in france had done it years ago with a much more basic injection system than the megasquirt. Especially with TBI, they are basically like a carby, with the injectors being in the throttle body.
In any case, the whole setup has cost me less than carbs (under AU$500), and the megasquirt is universal, so I can use it for something else if it doesnt work.

The engine will have some minor work done to it. Mick Abbey in England has just finished tweaking my barrels, and they should arrive home with my sister next month. I will be using RZ350 reed blocks.

I have a webpage here:
https://www.winsto.net/projects/index.php?blog=5

It will be updated as I go. It hasnt been updated for a LONG time because I've been waiting almost 12 months for the frame.
Last edited by hybrid on Wed May 14, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: hybrids YZR500 project

Post by hybrid »

Hi guys,
I finally picked up a temporary frame today. I say temporary because hes making a new version and has told me that I can swap him for one of the newer version when they are ready around March next year.
At least this one has let me get started.
The bad news is that the RGV swingarm is no good. It seems to be a bit narrow for the application.
The Whitepower RGV/GSXR shock is also no good as its probably going to be too long.
I also had a 2003 R1 swingarm and shock and that seemed to be a great fit. I think the shock is still going to be too long though, as it doesnt look like its going to allow the pipes to clear underneath the swinger. The swinger itself might not either!
So the end result is, it looks like I will have to sell my two shocks and swingarms and buy something thats going to work.
Looks like I will have to go with Micks recommendations and try to find a late model TZ swingarm and shock.

hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Hi,
I think I saw your frame in his workshop when I went to pick mine up.
He only lives about 30 mins drive from my house.

I havent decided on bodywork yet, but will probably end up using YZR stuff. I think Mick has some too.
I might try looking for a 3XV swinger. 3XV parts are quite hard to find out here.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

I finished making my first caliper bracket today.
I'm not sure if I'm happy with it or not. I'm not much good on the milling machine :mad:

Do you guys think these are okay, or should I either have another go or find someone else to do it?

I gave it a quick coat of black paint to help it blend in for now. I'll have the final ones powder coated black.

Oh, and of course those shonky bolts holding the bracket to the forks are just temporary until I get some 10mm cap head bolts :smt045

hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Latest pics.
I've repaired the barrels with JB Weld where the milling machine went through making room for the RZ350 cages. JB Weld seems super strong. Certainly perfect for this application, but I'm not sure about welding engine blocks etc like they claim. Click images for larger version.

Some pics of Mick Abbeys Magic on the barrels:

Pics of the chassis as it is currently:

The rear shock in those pics is an R1 shock, not the shock I will be using.
The TZ shock has not arrived from NZ yet.
I've also sent my top case and lower manifolds away to be welded so that I can machine them to fit the RZ350 cages.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

My latest purchase... work platform!
AU$300 including delivery... best thing I have bought so far I think.

hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Things are going very slowly, but I have finished the work on the upper cases to fit the RZ350 reed blocks. For safety, I filled the sides of the uppers and also the spacer with JBWeld in case things got a bit thin.
I ran an aluminium weld along the gasket edge of the uppers to leave me with plenty of width for sealing, and milled the surface flat again.

I milled out the sides of each to fit the bigger reeds.

The last thing I need to do is make some room in the JBWeld for the nuts/bolts to hold the cases together.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

My latest purchase - the CDI-RD500 from Borut.
This should allow me to control the front and rear timing separately via the Microsquirt ECU.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Mick brought over my new frame last night.
Damn, these new frames are MUCH better than the old ones!
Fantastic job hes done of them.

This last pic is my modified swingarm. I've elongated the shock hole to make clearance for the TZ shock.

Tomorrow I will probably try to get the bottom half of the engine into the frame so I can line up the sprockets and start making some bushes for the swingarm. Then hopefully things can start moving along a little more quickly!
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Got the engine in the frame today to check sprocket alignment.
Looks like its out about 10mm or so.
You can see in the first picture that the sprocket sits out further than the chain guide rubbers. The rear sprocket is in line with the rubbers.
I cant move the swingarm too much, because I need to make sure that the front and rear wheels are inline.

I have heard that the R1 sprocket has the same spline and is offset.
Does anyone know what the offset on the R1 sprocket is? Maybe I can use it, otherwise I will need to get a custom one made.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Latest chassis progress picture:

Just got the rear brake sorted. My ally welding still needs practise, but its getting better. Master cylinder needs some paint.

Sand blasted the throttle bodies. They still need a bit of cleaning up.

hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Looks like the standard Nikkon lowers will pretty much fit out of the box, which is good. Uppers obviously need the kink straightened out.

hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Glad I bought my tig now.. its coming in very handy.

Welded my first mild steel with it tonight and its a pleasure to weld with. Much like oxy welding really.
Made up the mounts for the lower pipes now. Moved the rear mount forward so it now bolts onto a bracket I welded to the rearsets.
And made up a bracket off bottom of the chassis for the left hand pipe mount.
If only the rest of the bike was so easy!

hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Rebuilt the cranks yesterday.
The crank in the front of the picture had the web rebuilt as well as the outer mains. Big ends replaced on both cranks.
Cranks were trued to within half a thou.

And Merry Xmas all!
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Injection/Ignition computer just arrived!