engine cases

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
rocet23
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

engine cases

Post by rocet23 »

hi..............just wondering what to paint my engine cases with,2 pac or hi temp gloss paint.the original finish on the top engine case looks like satin black and the side clutch cover looks gloss black.the cases have been bead blasted and have etch primer.i think i will paint it all gloss black
sunsetrider02
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Re: engine cases

Post by sunsetrider02 »

Get them 2packed as they will have some protection from fuel spill and other nasties....and you can always touch it up if necessary.

If you go the hitemp paint way, you will need to oven bake it at 160 for at least one hour otherwise the paint doesn't cure properly and will be subjected to being damage by fuel etc... All the heat from Just running the enngine hot does not all transfer to the case (as they do o the Cylinder head or jugs).
Other option is to powdercoat it....but that has its problem as well....but durable.
I am not mad....just slightly insane
rocet23
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by rocet23 »

sounds good.
jools58
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by jools58 »

All the UK guys rave about the plasticote BBQ aerosols being very close to original finish (satin)
I couldn't find it here but searches reveal Wattyl were agents but that is as far as i got.
With PJ1 satin being NLA I was getting a bit concerned.
Last week I got some Duplicolour engine enamel in gloss and satin from Super Cheap Auto in Auburn which is ceramic based, but so far looks good.
I did the top case of the RZ in black gloss and it doesn't look bad.
I did the top yoke in satin black and that looks good.

The I was cleaning up the missus art stuff and i found a can of white satin. Guess what - its a Plasticote product, with Wattyl import label. Now I've just got to get her to remember where she bought it !!!
One day lad all this will be yours............
FNQGreg

Post by FNQGreg »

I used VHT but a leaky new fuel tap didn't do it much good maybe they were not baked long enough will have to do it again
Cairns motorcycle restorers club member