The start of something beautiful ?

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
DOC03

The start of something beautiful ?

Post by DOC03 »

Looky Looky what I just picked up from FleaBay.
Matching numbers, all there except the tank (which Ive got one or 2 :-)
Hopefully (if the planets align) this will become an original resto..
I let you know when Ive got it in my shed..
Attachments
new job lot.jpg
(93.24 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Last edited by DOC03 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ken007
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: The start of comething beautiful ?

Post by ken007 »

good lucy to you, i was watching very closely myself, but just to far away, would you be willing to part with one of the seats,
ken007
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ken007 »

i just checked the price, i reckon you stole it, , did you see the RZ350 that went a day or 2 ago from the newcastle area with the engine out and stripped?, that was a top buy aswell i think,
DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

Ken, ive got one or 2 here already so can if you need one. When I get it back ill let you know what condition theyre in.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: The start of something beautiful ?

Post by JonW »

I also reckon it was a steal. Of course it still needs to be transported but its great value (more like 'mental cheap'), for a matching numbers 350.

Seems there has been plenty of LCs and RZ the past month on ebay, but the 6mths before that was a drought!
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

I was watching that lot with interest, looked like a good starting point if time and facilities were available.
I'm a Pom, so the sheer size of Australia constantly astounds me, like another poster - it was just so far away for my mindset! $600 bucks if it proves to be almost there does sound like a real bargain, but it will be interesting to hear what actually needs doing, so good luck with the resto :D , and keep us posted on what you need to do, these things are always an interesting journey.
Looks like a 250 rear wheel to me, wonder how complete and "350" it all is? Would love to know.
L.B.
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by L.B. »

Ah good onya Pete,was seriously thinking about going for it too....
Glad to see someone bought it that will do it justice!
Speaking of parts,how are you going for fuel tanks?
DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

BRG; yes the distance can be a bugger here all right, but I was brought up as a truckies son so Wodonga would have felt like a nice Sunday drive :-)
Luckily, at work I have access to some good transport rates, so now that I've paid I should have it picked up by StarTrack in the next day or 2 and here by Friday (fingers crossed)
In regard to time and facilities, well we will see, think ive got room for it but the time thing may get in the way, need to finish the Hybrid first.
Quick question though, how do you tell the difference between the 250 and 350 rear wheel, I thought they were pretty much the same animal ? I thought the only main things diff were the cylinders, pistons etc, obviously, the extra front disc and master, carbs, jetting etc, bigger oil pump and different marked pipes ?

L.B. do you need one, or do you have one ??
ken007
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ken007 »

gday doc, one of the differences with the rear wheel is the 350 has the cush drive, 4 x 90 degree rubber inserts in the hub,but these arent visible from the outside
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Pete, as Ken says, but i will add the 250 rear wheel has 4 round rubber bushes with the studs in them for the sprocket, obvious when you see them. but the 250 wheel will handle 350 power so its no big issues.
DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

Ok thanks guys, so I presume the wheel in the pic may possibly be a 250 as you can see 4 round marks / bolts in the rear sprocket possibly indicating the round rubber bushes ?
L.B.
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by L.B. »

DOC03 wrote: L.B. do you need one, or do you have one ??
I am after one in good nick (inside) :wink:
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

I cant tell from that pic Pete, the front wheel has two disks, which is 350, but the 250 front wheel has the abilty to have the 2nd disk added... have to see when it arrives i guess...
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Doc, easiest way to spot a 250 hub is that the polished bits on the spokes continue down over the body of the hub section, and it's much narrower, tapering down.
350 hub is the kind of cylindrical drum shape you'd have if it contained a drum brake on the chain side.
Hmm, that's not very well described but without pictures the best I can think of.
I think the 350 cush should give less harsh transmission, but I've never ridden the 250, so I dunno.

I think a great thing about RD's (quite a few Yams?) is they're kinda parts bin bikes, all sorts of compatible parts.

That collection looked good to me, If I'd been flush I'd have competed with you for it! :)