Joe Eastmure and the 1971 Castrol 6 Hour Win.

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Joe Eastmure and the 1971 Castrol 6 Hour Win.

Post by OzzyElsie »

In his words........

http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/suzi/eastmure.htm

I found the explanation, and Joe's calm recalling, interesting.

I was a member of Willoughby at the time (and flaggie at the 6 hour) and I had heard various accounts as to why the 315 was disqualified. Never was satisfied to what I heard.
fred99999au
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: Joe Eastmure and the 1971 Castrol 6 Hour Win.

Post by fred99999au »

What a great read and by the sounds, a great ride.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

fred99999au wrote:What a great read and by the sounds, a great ride.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was one of the Great Rides that were The Castrol 6 Hour.

I was there and it was entertaining to follow the classic Sampson and Gollith battle. I was flagging at just over the Skyline and was up close and personal to his Kamasaki dives up the inside of the larger and more fancied punters. And he is right; some of his moves or his pressure did bring down some riders in his wake through surprise or their efforts to stay with him.

The other notable admission is that he and Tony Hatton and others learnt their race/riding skills on Willoughby Club Touring Rides - they were like road racing made legal (qusi legal anyway). Ah the good old days.

I went on a few of these Willoughby Club Touring Rides. When you turn up to the meeting place and every second bike is stripped down to the minimum with no luggage and the rider is in full leather, there was a certain expectation in the air. Ah the good old days.

They were long, they were fast but they weren't stupid (if that is not a oxymoron). Paul Giles or Trevor Round were know to put young wankers in their place with a little 'one on one' consulting. After all Willoughby was one of the Responsible clubs. Ah the good old days :P .
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

Good old days must have been a bit to good with all those mixed metaphors there .....the fable is David and Goliath then there is Sampson and Delilah (woooo ooooo Fire) :) The hill at Amaroo was called Bitupave for as long as I could remember Skyline is at Bathurst :)
wheels999
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by wheels999 »

2TInstitute wrote:Good old days must have been a bit to good with all those mixed metaphors there .....the fable is David and Goliath then there is Sampson and Delilah (woooo ooooo Fire) :) The hill at Amaroo was called Bitupave for as long as I could remember Skyline is at Bathurst :)
Ouch! :-)
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

2TInstitute wrote:Good old days must have been a bit to good with all those mixed metaphors there .....the fable is David and Goliath then there is Sampson and Delilah (woooo ooooo Fire) :) The hill at Amaroo was called Bitupave for as long as I could remember Skyline is at Bathurst :)
So, you pick the deliberate mistakes :P .

I just put those in there to make sure you were paying attention. :twisted:
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

I make sure I won't fall for that one again then :)