Got myself a whippet for christmas

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
CBR600
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Re: Got myself a whippet for christmas

Post by CBR600 »

Lucky boy!!! The last one I seen in oz the guy wanted 4k and he lived in wa I'm pretty sure...
Vj21. 88
Dt200 1994 power house 2012

http://lnshosting.com
Richie_rich
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Richie_rich »

Nice buy Pat, those SDR200's are awesome little bikes. A few of them came into NZ back in the day and they are tiny. I recall a rest of one in a Performance Bikes magazine that raved about it. Great power to weight ratio.

Very jealous I am....

Have you got your R1Z yet? I see Old Gold has another one there with high bars and horrible bar fairing.
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

Yea I got mine a few weeks back, I actually got two but the other will be getting sold off again I just wanted the pipes off it.
Richie_rich
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Richie_rich »

Far out, now I'm super jealous! The white ones are the best colour I reckon and that looks very nice. Brembo calipers? Clip-ons changes to flat bars too?

Did you buy the 2nd one for the standard or after-market pipes? I really like the stacked pipes on one side I have to say.

I want one.... what's the other one like.....
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

This one came with chambers each side, Brembo callipers, radial master cylinder, custom top yoke and bars and a rooted piston. I bought the other one to swop to the original top clamp and bars and original pipes. The chambers ended up on the 2XT in the end because the original 2XT pipes had a rattle that was driving me mad, works better with the chambers anyway.
I tell you this much the R1-Z is the smoothest thing I have ever ridden and not anything like the 2XT. I cant describe it but all I can say is if you ever get the chance to ride or own one do it.
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

Hey EPA,

I thought I might tempt a Whippet update with a little inspiration!

EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

Mine is a slow job at the moment. I stripped it and got the wheels blasted. The frame has some rust inside the gussets but I don't really want to shell out to get it stripped and nickle plate again so I am not too sure what to do right now. I was just going to do a tidy up and just blasted the wheels and was going to leave them like that but they look a bit ordinary without the silver paint so I will need to get them powder coated. The problem then of course is the bit next to it looks crap and on it goes.
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

Finally got the spanners out on the whippet again. I pulled the crank out because I had to see what the mains were like. Even though the motor ran and was rattle less whenI pulled out the mains they were toast and would have only lasted a few ks before things got very expensive. So while I was at it I got a new crank pin and big end bearing and washers and got the crank done too.
So now the bottom end is back together, I got the wheels powder coated and new tyres and bearings fitted, the forks have been rechromed and the lowers are getting vapour blasted at the moment. I think a new coat of paint will be added too but the old nickel plate on the frame will have to stay for financial reasons.
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

It will be beautifull, and rarer than your average RG500.
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

:drink:
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

Motors in the frame and the rear wheel is attached also. I need a gasket for the clutch cover and a chain and a few new bolts etc and of course some time to work on it. I hope to be on the road by the start of June, still debating if I paint it or not.
The SDR shares a lot of small parts with the 2MA/ 1KT TZRs so that has made my life easy as I have a few spares on hand at all times to keep the fleet alive. Pictures later when photo bucket starts working again.
L.B.
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by L.B. »

Pat who did your crank & rechrome?
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

A1 hard chrome in Sydney did my forks and I have always sent mine there, I get my cranks done at Castle Hill Motorcycles and again he has always done mine with out an issue and being local to me is a bonus.
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

Greasemeup wrote:Similar in size to an SRX250 methinks..
EPApolice wrote:I think they share some parts like forks.
Bet you have never seen an SRX like this one..

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/yamaz/86srx25.htm

:popcorn: