Old Gold project bike sale...

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
James P
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Old Gold project bike sale...

Post by James P »

I already have too many projects and minimal spare time, so what better idea than attending the Old Gold Motorcycles Project Bike Sale Day?

For those who couldn't make it, here is a taste of the two-stroke fare on offer:

First bike inside the door- a tidy looking RZV for $15k. A tad overpriced perhaps, but it won't be long before that is the going rate :( .

A two-stroke with two extra strokes added! This SDR200 has been fitted with a fuel-injected KLX300 motor. I like SDRs a lot and I like this one too, despite the motor :lol: . Its a fairly tidy job and even has a power valve of sorts (a butterfly valve which controls a parallel bypass pipe in the exhaust). Luckily I already have an SDR, so was only slightly tempted to buy this one!
The bike in the background is an FZR400R or RR (can't remember which, possibly even an SP).

H1-500 race bike.

TZR50 (4EU type with electric start). If there was any advantage to running a 50cc bike in NSW, I'd probably buy this one! If (like me) you think that electric start is just another unnecessary gimmick waiting to go wrong, it may be possible to convert to kickstart using bits from the earlier 3TU model.

This bitsa TZR250 1KT seemed complete apart from the fairing sides and the blisters for the top fairing. At $1000, I thought it was good value. If I didn't already have a decent 1KT, I would probably have bought this one. Sure, the mismatched bodywork is an obvious handicap, but these are great bikes with plenty of parts still available if you know where to look.

This GT380 was available for $700. I don't know too much about it (or about GT380s generally) - restoring to original would be a job-and-a-half, but it could be just the ticket if you wanted a cafe racer or rat bike project.

RZ250RR, short wheelbase version.

Early H1-500 for $7000. I presume the spare parts were included.

Tidy early NSR250. Needed a little attention here and there (e.g. a few rusty fasteners), but looked nice.

RZ125 rat bike. Looks like some body bits missing, but quite clean.

An assortment of early and mid-late RG250s.

This mid-late version was missing a few parts (see piece of paper wedged between tank and seat), but looked like a good prospect.

One of two TY250s. The other one was in similar condition.

Two bitsa RG400s. Each one had parts missing. One was arguably better than the other.

Two more RG400s. A lot tidier and both complete (I think), but still needed work.

A bargain for the right person. Missing the rear wheel and motor seized, but just right at $200 if you already had the parts to fix it!

R1-Z racer project, or possibly a roadster with more work.

A Suzuki RV, before they went all four-strokey.

Two RGV250 VJ21s - some parts missing!

A complete RGV250 VJ21 - looked good, despite mismatched bodywork.

TS200R - I can't remember the price, but I thought it seemed reasonable at the time. There was also a TS250X (possibly actually a JDM RH250?) and a DT200R (37F type) on offer, but I forgot to photograph them.

RZ250R with weird two-into-one pipe.

Another RZ250R - looked tidy.

This NS250R was missing the top fairing and had a couple of other minor faults (likely as a result of the fairing breaking). Otherwise looked good.

Two more NS250Rs. Can't remember whether these were offered as one lot or separately.

AR125 - popular in England and other countries, but never sold new in Australia as far as I know. Has RRIS system, similar to the KR250.

There were a few vintage motocrossers on offer, including these - a Bultaco and a CZ.

Another Bultaco.

GT750 drag racer - $5000 if I remember correctly. Could be converted to roadster, but don't expect it to go around corners too well with those exhausts!

I think that all the bikes in the photos were still unsold by the time I left (late morning), so it may be worth contacting OGMC if you want more info or to make an offer. Sadly I'm not on the OGMC payroll :( , but I thought this event (and the bikes) may be of interest to those who missed it or couldn't attend.

Regards,
James
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: Old Gold project bike sale...

Post by ged »

Thanks for the report James. I'm glad I didn't go! I can't imagine I would have gotten out of there empty handed....
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

Warms the heart that does, thanks..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Great report and pics, prices seem rather high in the main for a project sale, but thats businesses for you, got to get what they can I guess. Some cool stuff tho for sure and Id have liked some of them in my shed.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Wouldnt mind the 125's for nostalgic rather than practical reasons, and the old school off roaders are cool
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

Really awsome post james p. Good photo's and description. I like the way old gold operates and i pretty well like everything in there invontary. I rang them once and spoke to a bloke that gave me 5 minutes of good motorcycle straight talk. There's been good feedback on this forum and there video's of bikes for sale give you a good idea of basic engine and ride condition. I'd be happy to buy from them. I hope one day i call em back and tell them i'm sending a deposit on a tzr 3xv i'd like them to find me.