EOI: RD-RZ large capacity radiators.

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
L.B.
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

EOI: RD-RZ large capacity radiators.

Post by L.B. »

Couple of us here,JonW & I are working to get some enlarged capacity radiators made up through PWR to suit the RD & RZ.Ideal for big bore strokers.
They will be around the 42mm thick & hold at least 1 litre.Prices we aren't sure about yet,but the standard RZ rad at 26mm is sold for $385 (gst inc) to give you a ball park figure.
Just spreading the word abit to see if anyone else out there wants one as well before the order placed,which will prolly be Jan next year (Jon?)
Ok,leave a reply below if you're interested....
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: EOI: RD-RZ large capacity radiators.

Post by JonW »

Thanks for putting this up here mate, i hope a few more will take advantage of a slightly better value rad if we can get multiples made at the same time which saves the bespoking of custom rads each time.

The sooner the better for me as i will soon need to run my 421 so will be looking at start up in Jan so id like to be ordering before the end of the year if at all possible.
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

Forget PWI I got a quote from a place in China (radiatorwarranty on ebay) they would make a copy of my sample for $95 sent to my door.
DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

Im in for sure !!!
I have got the spec sheets from PWR for both the RD and RZ and was talking to them about the same thing.
Prob is diff mounting points..
Im using the RZ frame which is totally diff to the RD although im sure a couple of brackets could be made.
Which one were you thinking of copying. ?
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

I need an RDLC rad, I already have a big rad for my RZ... but the problem I found when i considered adapting it for my LC was that its 750ml... ie the same as the standard LC, so not big enough really.... the standard RZ is tiny, <500ml IIRC.

so for me... LC fitment, 1litre capacity, plus the addition of a bypass hose as I am running the Athena, so an RZ style rear/top of cylinder bypass.
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

I have a rad to send over to them we could put both in one box. From what Steve for TSS has told me much better to get them to copy the item ;)
DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

Well I could certainly use maybe 1 or 2 with LC fitment to go on my standard bikes, maybe they can do the same rad for me but with diff mount points for the RZ.
Actually now I think about it, my frame has had the bottom 2 lugs ground off so I gotta fit some special brackets anyway, so I might be able to make an LC style work.
Anyway, IM in for a few, who is going to do it ?
I can send the samples over if you want I have a DHL account.
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

What's your address Pete?
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Sounds like we might make this a goer, the rad itself isnt that hard if its LC, it can be 'like this but say 50mm wider on each side and then a thicker core (40-45mm'ish) and then maybe slightly larger upper and lower tank heights by say 10mm. that would gain water capacity in the heights and extra width and breadth of the tanks. The 1litre size means I am looking for approx 1/3rd more capacity, i would need to calculate if this would make that a reality. The fitment of a rad like this on an LC requires spacers between the rad end plates and the OEM frame mounts of the distance of the extra width, in this case 50mm....

Some of the UK guys have had rads that have a slightly further forwards mounting to cope with the exit of the Athena head, but i dont feel its needed from my calculations, but ymmv of course.

I also feel that on the opposite side to the filler cap it would need a bypass equiv to the size of the exit on the YPVS head. this could be plugged on those needing to run a standard LC engine, but i dont see many using this for an LC motor application, or maybe i dont know the market well enough for racers etc?
DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

Lozza, PM sent
DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

Lozza, I can get StarTrack to collect from you if you want ??
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

That would be great Pete I'll let you know when she's ready to go
L.B.
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by L.B. »

Err,well I 'll go along with it,but the saying 'you get what you pay for' comes to mind.
Have any of you seen this guys work? Imean up close,in your hands....welds etc?
DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

Tell you what, how bout I get the sample from Lozza, take some pics and post em up so you can see what hes talking about, and someone could draft up a spec sheet / drawing and post it so all can have a look see and comment to make sure the bases are covered.
If possible we get a sample made before final production and Ill DHL it here so we can examine before giving the nod ??
Who wants to handle the liaison with the Chinese ? Im happy to do it and I have a chinese guy here on my purchasing staff if we run into communicaton issues and need to speak the lingo to them.
One problem is getting a bunch sent together you have customs etc to deal with, so would we ask them to send seperately to diff locations ?
I can receive and clear customs for bulk shipment etc, but we would have to split all the charges over the cost of the units. Im happy to do that also if you guys want to go that way.