advice on pipes

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
rocet23
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

advice on pipes

Post by rocet23 »

my bike is a rzr 250 japan import.converting it to a 350.the pipes on my bike have seperate alloy end cans.would thesepipes work on a 350.if not can i modify them to work.my bike is a 1986 1988 model,the pipes i have are standard for that model,thanks john
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: advice on pipes

Post by OzzyElsie »

I don't think those cans are separate or alloy. I think they are steel, welded to the pipe and anodized aluminum/silver.

They are one of the best overall pipes you'll ever put on an RZ ;) - bespoke made pipes included :fap: .

They should work fine on a 350, and without any mods. :thumbs:
rocet23
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by rocet23 »

RIGHT,THANKS MATE,I GET THE BIKE NEXT WEEK. :like: ARE 250 AND 350 CARBYS THE SAME, THANKS JOHN
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

I don't have model specific info but there would be at least small variations such as jet and needles. But I think they are fairly minor.

The biggy is the oil pump. The 350 pumps at a higher rate with a different worm drive (I think). You could skip the prob by running oil in petrol or seek out a freefiddy pump.
sunsetrider02
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by sunsetrider02 »

rocet23 wrote:RIGHT,THANKS MATE,I GET THE BIKE NEXT WEEK. :like: ARE 250 AND 350 CARBYS THE SAME, THANKS JOHN
All the 250 that I have seen recently have different carbs to my 350. Not to say that the 25250 will not work with some rework.

Ahhhh just noticed that you have the RZ. I was referring to the RD...so may be my observations do not apply.
I am not mad....just slightly insane
rocet23
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by rocet23 »

yeah i wont forget the oil pump.ithought the plastic gear was bigger.but your probably right.do you think you could buy a brand new oil pump?
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

The carbs are different... and Im sure the 88 250 pipes are not the ones you want on a 350 either... the 250s have plates welded in the belly part I was told, plus they usually also have washers in the header.

Hmm... adding oil to fuel leans the mix, not an ideal way to upgrade your oil pump. Arrow in the uk (hes on the RZRD500 and RDLCCrazy forums) does pump work, try him, else buy a proper 350 pump or run premix with an upjet. Either way, clean and reseal the pump... dont trust a 30years old gummed up unit.

Anyway, check this link for more info on the change over to 350, its not as simple (or as cheap) as you'd think:

http://2smoked.com/Yamaha_1985_RZ250_to ... rsion.html
rocet23
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by rocet23 »

excellent jon.ill do some reading.thanks for that