on the yellow RD L/c are spoked. Can anybody tell
me what wheels they are, what make, model and
year they are off?
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What Wheels? RD / LC

Post by hybrid »

Some people use the air cooled RD spoke wheels on them.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

Hmmm, been thinking about sourcing the TDR 250 hubs, bit of a gamble, dont know if anybody has used them before.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

(This is untested info but I'm 90% certain it is correct. It's been an idea rolling around in my brain cavity but I haven't actually swapped spoke wheels into an LC or RZ frame - but it has been done,)
[center]
Image[/center]

All RD (and other Yammy like XS's) front hubs go straight in (for axle size and disc positioning - axle width and spacers might vary according to the forks used). Most Suzuki hubs of the period (GS and GSX 250 -1100) swap with the RD's - lotsa choice. And Yammy and suzuki disc's swap - bolt pattern and offset the same.

Spoked disc rear is more problematic - most bikes of the period had drum rear (which do swap easy if you want a spoked drum rear). The TZ rear hub of the 70's fits very easy (if you can get one and you don't mind upsetting the historic racers :-| ).

I was thinking off a Yammy dirt bike disc rear - the axle is right. Yammy has used the same hub for about 20 years - YZ 125 -450 WR's and even DT200 etc etc, 2T and 4T - use the same or very similar. They come standard with 17, 18 and 19 rims - spokes and rims and easily available. It is a good lightweight strong hub. No cush drive though.

[center]Image
I'm 99% certain this is a Yammy dirt bike hub.[/center]

I'm not certain how essential or desirable cush drive would be for a street bike. For chain life of a commuter or tourer it would probably be very desirable, but for a Weekend cruising home made special it is probably not an issue.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Also depends on the power.... cush drive does help the life of the transmission as well... but an LC is pretty strong.

My XT500 (close on LC power) has KTM motard wheels sans cush, but the XT has a pretty solid gearbox internals and the chain is expendable imho. fine for a bike that isnt ridden daily, but yes if i could have found cush drive wheels I would have got them...
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

My 500 doesn't have a cush drive and I can't tell the difference.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

That green RZ is the famous "Valve Of Joy" from the UK, sadly all the web based info probably went along with the Alek Hayes forum. Might be in the (UK) LC Club, and that has a forum. May be able to get an idea how the owner did it.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

BRG1200 wrote: May be able to get an idea how the owner did it.
I'm 98% certain the rear is a TZ hub and the front RD ;) .

With the above info I don't think it would be too hard to fit spoked disc braked wheels to an LC or RZ - 17 or 18 front and rear .
jools58
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by jools58 »

My LC uses an aircooled spoke front hub fitted with a 2.15 alloy rim, but as a race bike does not need the speedo drive so spacers are relatively straightforward. I use a TZ disc with Grimeca caliper and 17mm axle with forks drilled out accordingly.

The rear is an aircooled RD350 drum on a 2.5 rim. The spacers on the drive side are a bit more involved due to the separate sprocket carrier stub that the donor bike has.

I've also got a RD400 spoked rear with disc which are a bit harder to source. I was going to fit this at some point but it actually works out to be heavier once you factor in the caliper. carrier, disc and master cylinder.
One day lad all this will be yours............
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

I have a pair of spoked aircooled wheels for sale. New rims Stainless Steel spokes blasted hubs and new tyres and tubes with discs. PM me if your interested.
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

Thanks for the info fellas.

I am communicating with TDR forum member in the UK. $40gbp for a set + the killer postage.. I will let you know.

Thanks EPA... I will look at the TDR pair first then if that fails will PM you..
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

I still have the memory of walking through a car park in Glebe in Sydney and spotting an RD350LC (mars bar colors) with spoke wheels, anodized gold outer rims.. This was in 1988 or there abouts, as clear in my mind today as it was that day.

Is this the beginning of a "Mid Life Crisis"?

Makes me want to buy an RD so much.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Connect with your inner midlife crisis, I want to see the result
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

Just spent mega bucks on a set of TDR250 Wheels.

Seller is in Japan with a low klm TDR that he is modifying so sold me the wheels. Gold anodized, 18" front unfortunately so I will have to get that replaced with 17" or get the rear converted to 18" but I think 18" tires are hard to come by.

Got the rims with new tires, sprocket carrier and brake discs, all in good condition I am told, see them in 2 months..

Disc is the correct size and on the correct side for TZR forks on my RZ350 so I hope it all comes together fairly easily..

I like the RZ pictured above, green usually looks like crap on a bike, especially a Yamaha but that green..... almost works.. I think with any other wheels it wouldn't though..
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

Greasemeup wrote:
I like the RZ pictured above, green usually looks like crap on a bike, especially a Yamaha but that green..... almost works.. I think with any other wheels it wouldn't though..
What? Snot Green 8O Ya gotta be kidding me :vomit: . A great bike spoilt by the colour choice (IMHO) :D

[center]
Image[/center]