RD250LC

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
Dempsie

RD250LC

Post by Dempsie »

Hi everyone, i've been into 2 strokes a while and finally bit the bullet last year and bought myself an RD250LC with 350 barrels.

I haven't had any space to pull it down until now, mum has let me use her old painting room so i'm keen as hell to get it started.

I have been doing some reading on the forum and it sounds like there a lot of knowledge to do with these RD's, please be patient cause i'm sure i'll have many questions. Does anyone live around the north shore area?

I have a vague idea of what i want to do with the bike, i want to try and stick to a budget of around 5 grand, not going to lose sleep if i go over a bit.

I don't really want to change the swing arm or forks on the bike, pretty much want to keep it standard with a set of clip ons and rear sets and a generous amount of power from the engine without sacrificing reliability.

I've found that my carbs are actually the 250 carbs which i've been told by Steve from TSS are no good with the 350 barrels, what would be the best carbs to go with?

Steve also said that a programmable ignition was probably the best mods you could do to the engine and i've been doing some reading on this forum and found a lot of info on them so i'm keen to do that too.

i'm also not sure on the best pipes to get, i've been told either JL or TSA pipes from Kenny, any thoughts on this?

Ive stripped the bike down so heres a few pics, after pulling it apart i've realised the bike is actually really dirty and a lot of things need replacing, all the plastics are cracked and the clocks are not much chop.

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... 9b9008.jpg
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RD250LC

Post by hybrid »

Hi mate,
if you copy the IMG links from photobucket straight into the forum, the pics will show up in your posts.

That's not a bad example you've got there, so don't worry too much. There's a few of us from Sydney here, but not sure if any on the north shore.

PWK28 work well on my bikes and require few mods to make them fit.
I think I have 4 spare ones here, which will need an overhaul, but you can have a pair for $50 if you want to come get them.

Programmable ignition is good on these bikes as they had a flat advance curve as standard.

I wouldn't buy off the shelf pipes. Lozza on this forum (based up newcastle way) does pipes for $200 each, so $400 for a pair. Good luck finding any off the shelf that cheap.

Good luck with the bike - you'll get all the help you need here.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Bloody hell, thats just fine as a start point, all there and in pretty good nick. Fork stanchions look in good shape too which makes a change.
There's a lot of helpful people on here, and a lot of combined experience, and after what Hybrid just said I won't be buying any more crappy old second and pipes.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
Dempsie

Post by Dempsie »

Thanks guys and hybrid I think I'll take you up on that offer for the PWK's.

Do you guys know any good powder coaters in Sydney?
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Hybrid, I'll take the other pair of PWKs if you want to let them go?

Pipes... I would look around a lot before you make up your mind about pipes for an LC. you need proven results and happy customers before you shell out your cash imho. If you want an old school look then Allspeed and Micron are the go, else TSA for the modern look.

Budget... 5K is doable. so long as you have a decent tank, everything else is fixable.

350 cyls... make sure you also have the 350 pump, head etc etc. FWIW I did an RZ 250-350 article on my website (see my sig), that will help, tho one saving grace over the RZ is that the CDI is the same on the LC between the 250 and 350.

So north shore... where? I am in the hills, but I know there is a guy with an RZ in Lane Cove, he might be close to you?
Last edited by JonW on Mon May 12, 2014 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dempsie

Post by Dempsie »

I'm actually in Lane Cove too, I've never seen an RZ around here though.

I emailed Kenny about his pipes and he came back with a cost of around $1200 delivered, don't know if I can justify spending that much on a set of pipes after what Hybrid said.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

The LC CDI is not the same as the RZ.
The RZ CDI has a curve (advance) in it.. the LC does not.

You can put just the zeeltronic vCDI on an LC and use the stock CDI.
On an RZ, you must use the zeeltronic CDI (no curve) along with the vCDI.

Jon, yes you can have the other pair. They will all need jetting looked at, and an overhaul kit on them. They have the usual worn screws in the bowls and top plate etc.

I ended up buying 4 new ones for my 500, which is why I have these ones.
If I remember I will check the garage tonight to make sure they are all still there and complete.

Can't be arsed posting them, so you'll have to come get them :lol:
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Dempsie wrote:I'm actually in Lane Cove too, I've never seen an RZ around here though.

I emailed Kenny about his pipes and he came back with a cost of around $1200 delivered, don't know if I can justify spending that much on a set of pipes after what Hybrid said.
Hopefully Lozza will chime in here. He builds pipes for some racers etc, so I'm sure they are at least as good performance wise as what you'd get with off the shelf jobs.

Dempsie, Lozzas forum name is 2TInstitute.
Send him a PM about pipes if you like.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Oopps sorry... I typed that badly, good catch Jeff! What I was saying is that CDI is the same on the 250 and 350 LC, I did not mean that the RZ was the same, it is a very different beast. I was just mentioning the article i did on the 250-350 conversion.

Cool on the carbs, let me know and I'll pop over, would be great to meet you mate :)
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Dempsie wrote:I'm actually in Lane Cove too, I've never seen an RZ around here though.

This be your man!

phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=1209

Up to you what you do with pipes, but just don't chuck money out willy nilly. Research and speak to owners about what they have and how well they work for what you want, road/race or bhp/torque and mild steel or stainless etc. I have Wicked, Gibson and Kennys on my bikes, all quite different. I have my views on them, as does everyone who has ever bought a pipe. So... Plenty have Allspeed and Micron on the RDLCCRAZY forum, and many of the USA guys (and some here) have JL and JM... and those nasty (but very cheap LOL) DGs... Then there are those I've never seen anyone write about incl the local Gibsons and RickRoberts (racers only I think), and there are a bunch of sweet pipes in Japan that look cool but few know how they run - the crossovers are supercool! So... Up to you what you buy, but check then all out first is my advice. Just my 2c.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

I've got RickRoberts pipes on my LC.. he did them many years ago.

Nice enough pipes. Not sure if he's still doing them.
He was living in The Rocks in Sydney when he did mine.
Dempsie

Post by Dempsie »

I did find some really well priced pipes on the Webike site from Japan, the brand is K2Tec, anyone had any experience with these?

Also, I see a lot of LC's with the black seat cover with the little signature on the side, does anyone know where I can get one of these seat covers?
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

That will be the GIULIARI seats.

Not sure if they are still available.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

LOL Gully seats.... prepare to dig deep. I have one on my bike. bought a nos white one and fitted an aftermarket version of the black seat cover - pics in my LC421 build on my site of course, under 'bodywork'. You could get the cover and get a trimmer to redo your foam for you, that's the best way really, tho its not the exact same as the Gully o course...

I dont know anyone with the Japanese pipes... gowan, get em and report back to us :)
Last edited by JonW on Mon May 12, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.