MotoGP Phillip Island.

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

MotoGP Phillip Island.

Post by OzzyElsie »

"It's Miller time!

The first day of practice and the special nature of Phillip Island did throw a number of interesting names into the mix. Shock of the day was Jack Miller, the Australian taking a brilliant fifth place in FP1, then only narrowly missing out on the top ten in FP2. His fast time may have been set on a soft tire, but even his race pace on the medium (the hardest rear for the Open class, softest for the Factory Option riders) is very good. Miller was lapping around the 1'31.0 mark, with regular dips into the 1'30s.

Clearly, racing at home has made a huge difference to the Australian, but there are more factors at play. Probably the biggest influence has been Alberto Puig, who has taken over the mentoring of Miller at the behest of HRC. Puig is imposing the discipline and work ethic required to compete at the highest level, and this is starting to pay off. At a track like Phillip Island, the rider really can make the difference, regardless of bike characteristics or even set up. Casey Stoner demonstrated this irrefutably by harrying both an ill-handling Ducati and a sweet-handling Honda around the Island to domination, the gap to the rest pretty much constant regardless of the bike he was on.

Having a background in dirt track helps too. That's what Stoner and Miller both grew up doing, and the same is true of Nicky Hayden, the man who finished in twelfth, directly behind Miller. A fast track with a lot of left handers, where you spend a lot of time sliding and spinning up the rear is right up Hayden's street, and it shows. The American held the lap record around the circuit for five years, from 2008 until they resurfaced the track in 2013. Hayden's race pace is good too, pretty close to Miller's. Podiums may be out of the question, but as it looks now, both Hayden and Miller could be in the second group battling for fifth or sixth position."
:P

https://motomatters.com/analysis/2015/1 ... _on_d.html

And it hasn't even rained - yet :twisted: .
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: MotoGP Phillip Island.

Post by ged »

I hope they're right Ozzy...... He gets a 'rookie year' dispensation, but his form has been a bit ordinary I reckon. Didn't do himself any favours taking Crutchlow out a few rounds ago either. He's got some ground to make up this weekend.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Looking forward to watching it though..
Still hoping Rossi gets the championship, Dirty Sanchez continue to slide, strangely happy to see Pedrosa doing well, especially if he's pinching points off Lorenzo in Rossi's favour ;-)
Jury out on Miller, stll trying to forgive him for the reckless torpedo stunt, think they brought him up too soon, needed a year or two more experience first.
Being a Pom, I'm just hoping to see three Brits in the top 10. Nearly exploded when Smith and Redding did so well a few weeks ago, sofa still has fingernail marks in it (unfortunately not from a cute Swedish Au Pair)
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Jack Lives Here....

Post by OzzyElsie »

BRG1200 wrote: Jury out on Miller, stll trying to forgive him for the reckless torpedo stunt, ........
Ah, you would be talking about that 'slower-than-a-wet Pommy-winter' Crutchlow cutting him off. :twisted:
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

I'll rise to that bait, he had no fing hope of getting around up everyones inside on that corner.....
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

I have to defend Cal Crashlots honour.....
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

BRG1200 wrote:I'll rise to that bait, he had no fing hope of getting around up everyones inside on that corner.....
No chance - not when that off line 'slower-than-a-wet-Pommy-winter' Crutchlow cut back in front of him. :twisted:
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

Hahaha. You should go into politics Ozzy. There's room on the front bench for you.

Gee BRG, you should be happy. You guys haven't had a lot to cheer about since...... well, Bazza really. Ok then, Foggy but still been a long time between drinks. 3 in the top 10 in the MotoGP grid and then moto3 as well!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

I can remember a time when the Aussies were in GP ascendency. Year after year throwing up great riders...... What happened?

I can't help but think that the era of 2 stroke Proddie racing was the goose laying golden eggs. I haven't been to an ARRC meeting in over 15 years, but whatever they're doing now, sure don't work!

I'm pretty happy to see pommies taking over to be real honest. It helps break the ridiculous dominance of the Spanish brigades that has hung like a pall over the sport since Dorna assumed control 15 years ago.

We had Bazza as our GP commentator during that era and he warned us that GP's would become "another Spanish National Championship" and that is pretty sadly, how it ha panned out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

BRG1200 wrote:I have to defend Cal Crashlots honour.....
If you are a Crutchlow fan watch him today - I predict he'll do well, top 5 or higher. PI is a 'riders track' and Cal is a Rider. He was doing really well last year until put down by his front tyre - as were a few others.

Is it raining yet , is it raining yet :twisted:
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

I'm watching the GP now - waiting for the rain!!!!!.

Most likely Marques, Loranzo and then Rossi is my prediction - but it is racing - there are a couple of wildcards in play (riders well positioned and with something to prove - Peddy being one).
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

Good call Ozzy. Close anyway.

I had visitors turn up just as the warm up lap started..... Watched the last 3 laps though! Pretty wild stuff.

The Island has a habit of throwing up some awesome racing. I was a bit pissed when they moved the GP all the way down to Melbourne, but it really is the most spectacular round all year.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

ged wrote:Good call Ozzy. Close anyway.

I had visitors turn up just as the warm up lap started.....
:mrgreen:

Ianone was a surprise - not that he run with them but he stayed with and came back at them. I expected the Duke to do the normal - run with the Big Boys for one third race distance and then fall back to oblivion.
ged wrote: Watched the last 3 laps though! Pretty wild stuff.
You got the essential but missed some great racing. I wish I had recorded the race. It would be worth going back over.

When Jorge fell back to the clutches of the pack I thought he was goneski - tyres shot or similar. But came good and pulled away - go figure. And then Marc put in the 'big ones' and did two magic laps - go figure.
ged wrote:The Island has a habit of throwing up some awesome racing.
Its a riders track - its got different characteristics at different parts of the track and you can't set up to be perfect every where, so you have ride and think your way around issues. This was clearly shown with the different strengths and weaknesses of the Yammies, the Honda and the Duke. The Duke would just walk away from anything on the straight. The Yammie could hold any line on any part of the track. The Honda was a bit of both.

A great track, a great ride and great coverage - probably making it the best race spectacle I've seen. The Helicopter shots really illustrated the differences between the bikes and their lines.

Again the Aussies show the World how it done 8) :P

ged wrote: I was a bit pissed when they moved the GP all the way down to Melbourne, but it really is the most spectacular round all year.
The ride down and the location makes it a great destination. Maybe next year the forum should get it shit together and make it a joint ride. :P

EC was a flop and a dud in every regard. :oops:
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

OzzyElsie wrote:
The ride down and the location makes it a great destination. Maybe next year the forum should get it shit together and make it a joint ride. :P

EC was a flop and a dud in every regard. :oops:

It would take me 12 months to get my shit together to do that trip, but it's been a loooong time since I've been there, so I'd be up for it. Might be on a 4 stroke though.....

I agree that EC was generally pretty dull as a GP, but I did actually go to the final EC GP ,(Criville took Doohan out at the hairpin on the final lap...- unforgettable) and it was a brilliant weekend! I knew it would be a long time before we had another GP in NSW but the week later the WSB round was at the Island! so it was a no brainer to do the GP in Sydney then head to the island the back way via the snowys and back up the coast via Wilsons Prom and the Princes hway. Magic couple of weeks.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

OzzyElsie wrote:I'm watching the GP now - waiting for the rain!!!!!.
Maybe this time :twisted: .

May you live in interesting times. :P