What performance from standard 350LC ?

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
L.B.
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Re: What performance from standard 350LC ?

Post by L.B. »

Defo interedted in fork rebuilds,looking at some right now wonderin how the hell am I going to do these.......
Want to keep stock look.What would be betterer?Cheaperer?Recrome tubes or go for broke on new ones?
Thats the Norbo shock isn't it?
DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

OK, well I was going to wait until I got the forks back to make an assessment as to whether to recommend, but as a couple of people are also doing fork stuff right now and have asked, heres the details and what im getting done, but please note I havent tried the product yet, I just thought his stuff looked as good as the Andreani and was Aussie made and competitively priced. I like the idea of supporting Aussie where possible and also the ability to take it back for adjustment / fixing if needed.

Nick Dole - Managing Director
Teknik Motorsport
www.teknikracing.com
nick@teknikmotorsport.com
Ph - 02 4732 2626
Unit 4 / 5 Harford Street
South Penrith

I visited him yesterday and seems like a straight up guy, at least worth talking with to see if he can help.
Says they make all their own 20 and 25mm T Valve and Damper rod assemblies here and also the springs and can pretty much do whatever spring rate you need.

Anyway, he quoted me $180 for the Kit (Springs + Valve and Damper assem + Oil) + $160 for fitting / checking / etc.
Said the total should be around $400 all up including the new Springs + Valve + Damper Rod assem + Seals & Bushes + Dust Seals + Oil + All fitted in my forks, which is about the same as the Andreani Kit alone after getting it here from TTW-UK

If I had the tools etc, I reckon $180 for the kit alone is worth a try. Anyway, he's pretty easy to talk to so perhaps give him a call and see if you think he knows his stuff.

Also, I didnt talk with him re - Chroming / Re-Chroming / Anno or any other reconditioning so IM not sure if they do this, as my forks just needed the internals etc.

Hope that helps, and Ill post up what I think then I get them back next week which might be worth waiting for before spending any $$ just incase ive stuffed up (in which case Ill be getting the Andreani Kit )
Attachments
teknik_damper_rod_fork_upgrades.jpg
teknik_damper_rod_fork_upgrades.jpg (36.5 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
teknik_t-valve_upgrade_kit.jpg
teknik_t-valve_upgrade_kit.jpg (38.59 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

Last edited by DOC03 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Thanks for the info Pete, Im defo up for doing my forks soon, there are two drips either side of the front wheel of my LC now... nice... :/

Now this is starting to look supercool...!

2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

What was the p/n of the kit for the USD rgv fork Pete? For those with 41mm RWU forks there are some very very cheap emulators out of the US.
DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

Well on the website they have a look up thing to find parts for your bike and after I put this in with my weight (just a little bit more than the suggested 73kgs for standard RGV :lol: ) the suggestions were as below, but I also chatted with him when I went out there to discuss the type of riding / my bike set up etc

Fork Upgrades
T Valve compression kit Part #25-005-09
T Valve rebound kit n/a
T valve track compression kit Part #25-005-10
Stock Spring Rate - measured 0.525 kg/mm
Suggested Fork Spring Part #19-084-0 0.650 kg/mm
Stock Pressure spring (ICS) rate ICS Series

So thought i'd just take one for the team and try it out, cause if it works well and I can make changes later etc to my other forks, then its worth it, if not Ill go the Andreani.
DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

Last edited by DOC03 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

Oh and these were the other parts to be replaced I think;

Fork Maintenance & Consumables
Type/Manufacturer/OuterDiameter USD | Showa | 41
Fork Fluid and Quantity(litres) US1 | 2
Oil level 140
Fork Seal and Wiper set
Oil Seal FSOS 41 P
Dust Wiper FSDS 41 P
Inner (Slide) Bush FMBI 41201 P
Outer (Guide) Bush FMBO 41202 P
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Lozza i was told the innards of the RGV RWU forks are the same as the USDs, if so then the ones you found may well work?

Pete, Ive been googling and people are suggesting 0.650 for the springs so thats bang on i reckon for your weight. more like 0.700 for me perhaps... (tho i am on a diet so i can ride your bike now! ;) :D )

I reckon this will be fine mate, the guy knows what he is doing and you needed the seals doing anyway, thats a few hundy there if you pay someone else to do it etc.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

DOC03 wrote:BTW, anyone see the set of SP VJ23 forks on Fleabay ?
Wants $900 !!
Be cheaper and better to get K6/K7 Gixxer forks and re-spring or something ?
Ive given up with looking for SPs now... im sure on my old dog of an LC that the normal ones will be fine :)
DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

LOL, quick blast in the cabinet and the anodising on those tops will be history ;)

We still need a fix for the gold tho... its thin, will strip off with chemicals i recon no problem, but how much would they cost to re-anodise i wonder?
L.B.
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by L.B. »

John,thats some great info there! Thanks heaps,I may just contact Nick Dole, or wait till you've finished with him hehe.
I luv these work shop snap shots,get to see whats going on with the bike in question & in the back ground lol....
DOC03

Post by DOC03 »

SO I got a little bit of time to see how the rearsets would look on...
Attachments
rearsets 3.jpg
(146.53 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
rearsets 2.jpg
(164.98 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
rearsets right.jpg
(180.06 KiB) Downloaded 26 times